Thursday 15 December 2011

Making


Didn't post yesterday as I was just too tired after completing my last basket making class. As it had to be postponed for a week, there were only 3 of us. Apparently it should have been 5 but as the Arts Centre had had a power surge, all their security and fire alarms were inoperative. We could hear the phones ringing (presumably them) but no-one was allowed in to answer them.

Fortunately for us, the place we were in is basically a storage shed with no alarm so they let us continue. The staff spent a lot of the time in there with us as it was the only place that also had heat and light.

Anyway, a very good time was had but I think it was the hardest start to a basket. We made a small Sciathog (an Irish potato straining basket). This is one of the easiest baskets to make but one of the hardest to start, really requires an octopus as a helper!

Anyway, here is mine – not too bad methinks for a first attempt. It was flatter as I am such a tight weaver (you should see my knitting) but I am very pleased with it.


By 2.00pm, I could barely move my very sore fingers so the tutor Nadine, showed me how to make 2 ply cordage:

as well as a sennet (not sure of this spelling) which is a 4 ply plait in the round:


3 comments:

  1. I think your basket is lovely, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your basket looks very nice!! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have done a great job on the basket. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.