Saturday 11 February 2012

Knitting, awards, tagging and a bit of a moan - sorry!

Well, we had our coldest night last night -12.3 Celsius. The inside of the window (where it was open - and its double glazed) was frozen on the inside!! The rest had several inches of condensation which I wiped away to stop it evaporating back into the rooms. The heating (still only on for 1 hour morning and afternoon) was put on for 1/2 an hour to help dry things out a little.

Welcome to my new follower Gill - That British Woman. I have just finished my 2nd dishcloth. This one is much better, closer together and generally a better feel. I knitted it on 5mm needles after casting on 51 stitches.




I have found another pattern for knitting my 3rd in Andalusian Stitch. Cast on an even number of stitches. After trying 52 stitches (far to many for this loose pattern, I have settled on 40 stitches.

1st row: Knit
2nd Row: Purl
3rd row: K1, P1 etc.
4th row: Purl

Repeat these 4 rows until it is as long as you want then cast off.

I have been tagged by the lovely Mrs Thrifty at http://craftthriftandlove.blogspot.com/

Whilst I thank you for this, I don't know how I really feel about it. The rules almost smack of a chain letter somehow and I dislike those sort of things. If I ever get any chain mail type stuff in my in-box, I simple delete it and refuse to pass it on.

I can understand the principle of tagging/awards as they help to let people who haven't yet found your blog, find it. If they like what they read, they know where you are and can follow you if they wish and visa versa. Now that is a very good thing.

Answer 11 questions? Even though then appear innocuous, I am a relatively private person as far as information about me/my family on the internet goes. I am careful not to give out too much information and any I do give out is usually quite vague (not always, only the very private stuff!)

Some people give out way too much information about themselves on the internet, that can be how you get your identity stolen. You know the kind of thing, children's/dog's/parent's names, places where you have lived, details of jobs you have done etc. As some of this information may be what you use for secret questions/passwords, you can see how easy it is to get fraudsters on your tail.

As far as I am aware, I have not had my identity stolen but nonetheless, take great care to protect it. We have however, had our entire bank account emptied once by fraudsters. We believe after an on-line purchase to a company we had not used before, although the police believed it was from a machine actually inside a cash point. However, we always check for these and cover up the key pad whilst entering our pin numbers. 

What do you mean you don't do this at cash points!!! It was not a pleasant experience and one we never wish to repeat.

So, thank you again Mrs Thrifty, hope you don't take offence at my reply – none is intended.

Something I had intended to do over several days however, before I got tagged, was to pass on details of blogs I am reading and enjoying. They more often than not, will be relatively new to blogging and often have few followers. Everyone likes to think people are enjoying their blogs and hopefully leaving comments. Hope you enjoy visiting them!

The first of these is Abigail over at http://keepingitsimplythrifty.blogspot.com/


3 comments:

  1. Hi That's a very good point you are making.I hadnt even thought about it! I suppose unless you get your fingers burned in this way, you dont even think it can happen to you. Not everyone is honest or as they seem.I have noticed my spam box usually contains letters from african sounding people asking for help, these are automatically deleted without my even opening them.This has only happened since I started blogging so maybe I will have to be more careful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my credit card details used - someone had a £1000 holiday on it! Luckily I worked as a fraud investigator for a large retail company in one of my previous lives so I knew how to sort it out. I rang the company involved- they checked their records and confirmed it was a man who had used it - he had even stolen the television from the holiday home and done some damage! I collected all the information, rang my credit card company and passed it on - it was dealt with quickly and efficiently by them. I never use my debit card to pay for things online- I use a credit card which I have solely for that purpose. It's used for concert tickets etc, and then the balance paid when it's due. Like you I always cover the keypad when putting in my number at a hole in the wall.Someone using my credit card didn't affect my life - it's not my money and I'm not actually the victim - the credit card company is as they are the ones who lose the money when it is charged back to them. Wiping out my bank account would cause untold problems for me so I'm really careful with my debit card and information about me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem at all and I certainly don't take any offence. I wasn't sure how I felt about it either. I am also quite a private person and as a teacher I protect my identity closely. You make some very good points. Keep up the blogging xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.