Tuesday 14 February 2012

Rebirth after the snow

The snow has finally gone and in truth, I am glad. I love to see it fall and lay, pristine on the ground, untouched by anything except maybe the delicate footmarks of numerous birds early in the morning.

At last the snowdrops have re-appeared, still closed, as they usually need an average day time temperature of 10C to open and allow themselves to be pollinated. My dwarf daffodils are finally beginning to make an appearance, maybe 2” is showing above ground at present.

The pond in the front garden is finally free of its snow and ice cloak and the birds can at last drink and bathe.

When a decent day arrives, I shall return to gardening and cut down the final remains of dead leaves and stems to allow air and sunlight to get to the little green shoots appearing at the base of the plants. I'm not a cold weather gardener, I like the feel of the sun on my back. Not so hot I burn nor so cold I have to wear thick gloves. I like to enjoy and feel what I am doing.

No seeds have been sown yet. I long ago realised I was sowing too early. When you don't have a green house there is no point, everything gets too leggy grown indoors for too long. Last year, despite sowing towards the end of March, the warm Spring meant I had to put my tomato plants outside early May, too early as it turned out. The cooler weather arrived almost immediately and they had to have a fleece barricade until June.

My lovely neighbour who is not a gardener offered to look after things whilst we were away on holiday. After reading my long A4 list of what to cover and uncover each day, water with fresh or tap water he laughed. True to his word however, he was diligent and every plant survived. Now I know I can trust him in this department, his offers will be greatly accepted in future.

The air is cool at the moment, the breeze cooler still but I have washing on the line. Scattered showers notwithstanding, they should be reasonably dry when I bring them in.

Have a good day folks.


2 comments:

  1. Here in Chicago I start my seeds on about 2nd April - our last frost date is 15th May and I wont put my tomatoes out until the end of May.
    Lots of things like lettuce and chard go directly in in April and this year I am going to grow a cutting garden, zinnias and nigella mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Yes, we too can have frost here right until the end of May but usually it finishes around mid May.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.