Sunday 29 July 2012

Do you like broad beans?



If the answer to this is no, it may well be that it is the skin on each bean that you don't like. If removed, the bean becomes a whole different entity!


I picked a small amount of these this morning, de-podded and blanched them. Once cold I processed them as follows:


First, tear a small amount of the skin from the end opposite to the white/brown mark where it joined the pod.
Then squeeze the other end gently.


And outs pops the bean.

I then open freeze these and bag once frozen. They take just a few minutes to cook from frozen in lightly salted water or can be gentle sauteed in butter with a squeeze of lemon juice. 

This method works particularly well with large beans or those bought from the shop that have usually been picked ages ago. Yes, I know, life is too short for some of you but doing some each day builds up to a lot of nice beans for winter as well as using the smaller ones in summer.


I also had 1/2 a cereal bowl of mixed blueberries, raspberries and blackcurrants. Some were added to a basic sponge mix to make muffins - I only had 2 eggs so everything was weighed to match their weight:


The rest were made into small crumbles. 


We have just had our first light shower and everything in the garden looks refreshed and the air smells wonderful!

5 comments:

  1. hello,
    mmh your baking looks delicious!!!
    and the broad beans will be taste great on a cold winter day.
    please forgive me my bad english-
    have a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Regina, have a nice evening yourself!

      Delete
  2. Me and DB hate the taste of broad beans. Can`t stand them, popped out of their skins or not. The baking looks delicious, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not my favourite vegetable but I don't mind eating them once out of their skins. I love the sight and smell of the flowers and OH loves the taste so only grow a few plants (16 this year).

      Delete
  3. Yum yum! Very tasty! My husband can't stand runner beans but likes broad beans - and to me they are very similar in taste?! Good idea about the skins, though, for anyone who may not like them - worth a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.