Saturday 25 August 2012

Logs and vegetables

Yesterday, the hardwood logs we ordered arrived around 9:00am. As their usual vehicle was broken they hoped we would wait for a few more days. I asked for them Friday as I knew the weather was to deteriorate. Their spare vehicle doesn't have measured baskets on it so they gave us more than we asked for to be on the safe side.

We had asked for 2 cubic metres but reckon we got between 2 1/2 and 3! About 8 wheelbarrow loads had been removed before I remembered to take a photograph. It took both of us 1 1/2 hours to shift them around the back and stack them. 

 
I also took some photographs of the vegetables that are now growing (some better than others). The first few are a mini cucumber, some dwarf tomatoes then both together with some bell peppers.




Then we have some newly sown lettuce and salad leaves, the bean pole hosting some runner and French climbing beans (the large leaves poking through the bottom are a courgette fighting for its life!) The final one of this group is the bed with my first ever home sown and grown leeks, plus a couple of rows of carrots.




This next group is of 3 containers of tomatillo's, a bed of very sad beetroot, and a newly planted tub of carrots.




Finally, some more bell peppers and mini tomatoes in my mini greenhouse and a close up of one of my mini Conference Pear trees with around 9 little pears on it - ah bless. 



In the conservatory are 2 more tomatoes "Ferline", taken as axil cuttings, and 4 "Hungarian Hot Wax" chilli pepper plants.








So despite earlier predictions and a harvest not as good as normal, at least some things seemed to have survived the dreadful weather.

3 comments:

  1. You are doing a lot better than me, my veggies either drowned early in the season or baked in the sun recently! Have a good weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your veg have done really well. I am very disappointed this year but have not been put off at all, I am even more determined to do better next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Fran and Anne. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Like you, I have lost quite a few things to drowning and/or the excessive heat. Never be put off Anne. Next year is always going to be better!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.