Saturday 15 September 2012

Teacakes

Shara has asked me to print my recipe for teacakes - I'm afraid I don't know where it originates from.

4 oz dried fruit such as currants, sultana's, raisin’s, cranberries etc.
1 lb strong bread flour
1 level tsp salt
1 1/2 oz lard (shortening) or butter or margarine
2 oz sugar
1/2 pint warm but not hot milk
2 rounded tsp instant dried yeast
1 rounded tsp mixed spice

Sieve together the flour, salt and mixed spice. Rub in the lard. Add the dried yeast, sugar, dried fruit and stir well. Add the warm milk and mix well. Knead until the mixture forms a smooth elastic dough.

Put into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling film or a tea towel and put to one side until doubled in size. Once ready, give the dough a thump, turn it out and lightly knead back into a smooth ball.

Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions. Prepare baking sheets using either parchment/greaseproof paper or rub lightly with fat and dust with flour.

Gently roll out each ball (don't make them too thin) to around a diameter of 3 inches then place on the tray. Do the same with the rest. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 45 - 60 minutes or so. Give the top of each bun an egg wash if you prefer.

Bake in the oven set to 220 Celsius for between 8 and 10 minutes, until golden.

If you want to make these to hold savoury items, simply miss out the fruit and sugar. However, we often eat ours with either cheese inside, or toasted on top - a nice form of cheese on toast!

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I havn't had teacakes for such a long time, I'll certainly give your recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made teacakes but I love them toasted. In fact we had some for our lunch yesterday, bought I'm afraid! I really should try and do more of our own baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be trying these tomorrow! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being yeast based, we find they only stay soft for another day after baking plus we keep them in a food bag loosely tied. We often freeze half the cooked and cooled batch, that way, you can defrost only those you need.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will definately try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're rising now so I'll share photos when they're done. Even the dough smells good so I'm sure they'll taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Posted photos on my blog. Hubby says these are dangerously good...lol.

    They really are great! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.