Wednesday 3 October 2012

Today is hedgehog day! UPDATED

Yep, the day I have my hair high/low lighted (depends how I feel).

I used to do my own colour as it is a lot cheaper, then had a massive reaction one day where my hair turned to straw and I got a burnt scalp. It took nearly a year of work from my friend/mobile hairdresser to get both back to normal.

I have it coloured, cut and blow dried roughly every 12 weeks and it costs me £30. I would say it is a treat (which it is really) but you certainly have to grit your teeth whilst your hair is being tugged through the holes in the cap.

Of course, there are other less painful methods but they are much, much more expensive as is going out to the hairdressers. Mobile ones are usually cheaper.

Here I am before, during and after.




Ah that's better. I'm probably one of the prettiest hedgehogs you've seen and my spines are so very soft!

Have a lovely day!

Lizzie has commented that using foils are/may be cheaper than a cap and also less damaging to the hair. Before having this technique used on me I did investigate the pro's and con's of it.

As I have short hair which is dry and brushed before the cap is applied, it pulls through relatively easily and by all that I had previously read, does no/little damage to my hair. On the other hand, if hair is wet and un-brushed, it is more liable to be damaged. 

Regarding price, foils are quite a lot more expensive as can be seen from these taken from two local, quite cheap salons. Salon 1 would cost me £65 for the full head foils plus at least £21.50 for the cut and blow dry - a total cost of at least £86.50!

Salon 2's costs would be from £63.90 to £73.90 or £47.80 - £55.50 for the cap method. Both salons would necessitate me driving to my nearest town to have my hair done.
 
By having a mobile hairdresser in my own home, we are free to eat and drink, chat and have a laugh, free of charge. My mobile lady would charge me less than these prices for foils but still more than a cap. 

So no, I wouldn't change to foils or change to a salon but thanks again Lizzie for making me double check just to make sure everything was okay. My way is fine for me and less costly, others can do as they see fit. 

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh, the torture of those darned hoods! Great result though :o)
    Rose H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, at least I only have to grit my teeth for the area around my temples!

      Delete
  2. try and get your stylist to use the foil strips - I cant believe it is more expensive but having it pulling through a cap is going to break it over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a really good price for what you've had done. When I had my hair cut last month I paid £34 - that included an intensive conditioning treatment which I really needed as I hadn't been near a salon for over 6 months, and I use straighteners on my hair several times a week. It was worth every penny. I had a restyle as I'd had my last style for around 3 years which is a long time for me to keep a style. I love it, and it makes me feel fab, which is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello! Getting excited about October 7th:o) I too think it is a good price. A natural method of conditioning I have used is to steep a couple of good sized sprigs of Rosemary in near boiling water until the water cools enough to be used. Then strain out the rosemary and any bits. After washing my hair and rinsing, pour the rosemary water over. Don't need to do any more. Feels odd but when dry, hair is lovely, soft and shiny. Dirt cheap too!

      Delete
  4. I dye my own hair. I have yet to find a hairdresser I actually like over here.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Gill. Don't know what I will do when she eventually gives up. Luckily, she is quite a bit younger than me!

      Delete
  5. I used to have highlights (many years ago) by the cap method. Only problem was it used to be so hard to brush/comb through as it was very long. Imagine hairdresser used to dread me going!
    I now just lop a few inches off when it gets too long and enlist DH to level off the back.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always cut DB's hair but won't let him near mine except in an emergency.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.