Monday 12 November 2012

Blackberry and apple cake

Lovely hubby fancied making another cake so we used a recipe from my all time favourite book Country Harvest by Rosamond Richardson (previously mentioned on 21st September 2012). The one we chose for him to make was Apple and Blackberry Cake. It is basically just a cake where you rub in the fat, add the fruit and gently stir in the eggs.

It should go into the tin looking lumpy. It is lovely eaten fresh and slightly cooled straight from the oven. It gets softer and softer with each passing day (we usually eat the last bit with custard as it is more like a pudding towards the end). The quantities of flour and fat are similar to a crumble mix. Anyway, the fat is rubbed into the flour although DB, not having made one before, didn't know when to stop so it shouldn't be rubbed in quite this much! 



Then the dried fruit is added

followed by the apples and brambles.


The eggs are added and it is gently stirred together. Fresh from the oven and cooled (it doesn't rise much at all). 


A slice served with home made yoghurt and ginger syrup.



10 comments:

  1. hi
    mmmh the cake looks delicious and makes me very hungry.
    wish you a nice day,
    hugs regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, my mouth is watering!
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness -- that looks so good. I don't have dried blackberries, but I can use what I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blackberries were frozen. Her apple cakes has slightly more flour and fat but only used 12oz diced apple. This cake has less flour and fat but uses a total of 20oz of fruit, bit too much we think.

      Delete
  4. Will have to give this a try as it looks so good. Are the brambles frozen?
    Brenda in the Boto
    www.cyclinginthesixthdecade.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they were, I would post the recipe but am a little worried about copyright issues. See comment above.

      Delete
  5. Mmn that looks divine! Anything cake/pie/crumble with apple in is fab by me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that looks really yummy, I would have liked a taste :)

    I loved your felted slippers adjustment in the below post, very neat. So glad it worked out well.
    Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has made a difference but I would still make them as they come and only adjust if needed.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.