Tuesday 6 November 2012

How far can you stretch ... Part 4

Welcome to my new follower tinker 899.

Here we go again, nearly there I promise! 

Our main meal for Sunday was chicken and vegetable risotto. We used 1/2 an onion, 1/2 a courgette, 2 oz frozen peas, another 1/3rd of the chicken, 1 oz Grana Padano cheese, 1 oz Philadelphia Garlic and Herb cream cheese, 5 oz risotto rice and 1 pint of vegetable stock using 1 stock cube.

Gently fry the onion until soft in 2 tablespoons oil. Add the rice and all the stock. Stir gently until the rice absorbs most of the liquid. Add the peas and chicken, stir for a couple of minutes, add both cheeses - (sometimes I find I have to add a little extra liquid so don't worry if you have to do so). Serve. 


This very tasty meal is not huge but is filling and came in at £2.65 for our two portions. If you were to do it with just vegetables, it would be even cheaper as the chicken part came to 90p! You can of course finish it off with some kind of pudding if you are still hungry.

5 comments:

  1. I do love courgettes in pasta and I never remember to make it. I must give this a go sometime this week, I might even have some frozen chicken in the freezer somewhere lurking near the bottom - organising that is another job for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Dan on your hard work in the garage. This risotto recipe is normally made with 6 oz mushrooms but I make it with whatever we have to hand. Would work just as well with pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rice for risotto is actually rather expensive here. I have no idea why, but because of that I rarely make it. This looks really yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is odd but I reckon if you are careful, you should also be able to make it with long grain rice or even pasta.

      Delete
    2. They treat it as a specialty item for some reason. I can buy four or more times as much long grain rice for the same amount. I'll have to try it with the long grain rice.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.