Sunday 30 December 2012

It's official ...

DB and I are the very proud owners of dumbphones. Who would have thought such a word existed. We certainly didn't until we watched the news this morning about new words going into The Oxford English Dictionary.

Back to the phones. Ours are always switched OFF. Yes folks, they do indeed have off buttons!

They are for emergency use only. We top them up probably once or twice a year with £10. We phone each other briefly once every few months to make sure we keep our phone numbers intact (or some such nonsense).

When either of us goes out in the car alone, we take them with us just in case. When we go out together, DB usually remembers to take his, just in case. They are not switched on even then.

We can phone and receive phone calls, likewise with texts but that is as far as they go. Maybe one day, DB will change his so it has a camera on it, just in case.

Anyway, today the sun is shining and the sky is partially blue with the rest turning grey. Washing for the first time in days is actually blowing in the breeze outside.

We started taking our decorations down yesterday and have now finished. Hooray! I do love them but can't wait to get the house back to normal.

I'm still trying to get back into the swing of cooking as all meals over Christmas were mainly pre-cooked. I have beef curry planned for tonight so we are looking forward to that immensely.

Weighed ourselves this morning. The previous Sunday we had both lost a pound, this weigh day was not so good. Up 2lb for me and 4lb for DB. Won't take long to shift though. Any sweets still around will shortly be in the freezer. Two more slices of cake will finish the quarter we kept out. The rest is in the freezer.

Onward and upward!

10 comments:

  1. We are dumbphone owners, too. We use ours just the same way you do. It`s only ever on when I need to ring someone or I use it out of emergency. The last time I topped up the crediton it was 4 weeks before we went on our last holiday(May 2012). I`ve still got enough money on it to last me another 1/2 year. I only ever top up once a year with about £25.00, and we just don`t see the point in texting. If I can`t reach someone straight away I can always ring them another time, and visa versa. The only reason why we keep running a home phone line is so that my mum from Germany can ring us, otherwise I would think that our pay as you go mobiles would easily make a very cheap phone line all throughout the year, especially the way we tend to use our phones.

    We shall have a nice little buffet evening on New Years Eve, then a chicken and potato curry on New Years Day, and then things will be back to normal in our food department. I managed to place several left overs into the freezer. Those will make samll meals during the next few weeks for us, thus saving us a little shopping money each week. Savings will go towards our two holidays that are planned for 2013.

    Have a Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you and yours Sarina. Can't wait to get back to our 'normal' food as we both feel a little out of sorts. Its amazing what your body gets used to isn't it.

      Delete
  2. Yes, have frozen all my leftovers including sweets and desserts. Bagged up the cubed ham for quiches etc;, I am proud and pleased that nothing was wasted.
    We have dinosaur phones - the kids laugh at us but that perfectly o.k. (we are not thin- skinned :) I would like an I Phone but dont think I will ever get one - I have to really really really want something these days to summon up enough energy to acquire it. Is this post-consumerism or what ? Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if it is post-consumerism or not. Maybe we have just woken up to the fact we don't need so much stuff in our lives. 2013 will begin with another good clear out of 'stuff'.

      Delete
  3. We're the proud owners of somewhat dumb phones much to our children's dismay. We do have a plan and keep it on but refuse to pay for any kind of internet service or anything of the sort. I'm constantly telling people the phone is for my convenience -- sometimes it ticks some people off, but oh well...just how it goes.

    We had very few leftovers from Christmas because I deliberately cooked far less this year. I used up some bits of ham in soup and the last little bits in baked beans I canned yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cooked a lot less, just need to lessen the cakes, pies and biscuits. No need for them really. We will probably be on our own next Christmas so will be able to really cut back on them. Even DB who loves Christmas cake, says he doesn't mind if I don't do it again!

      Delete
  4. My Mum's the opposite- she got rid of her landline a few months ago and now just has a mobile.She was paying line rental, a charge for paying by cheque, being pestered by cold callers constantly and using the phone a couple of times a week at most. She just tops it up when needed, but it's proving to be a lot cheaper for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might think of doing that if we didn't use the internet so much. Must be great to get rid of the land line.

      Delete
  5. I am an owner also, but constantly forget to charge it and never have it switched on. Keep telling dh I want to get rid of it as it costs nearly $17 a month, but he says no {{{SIGH}}} I even have my phone number taped to the phone as I have no clue what the number is...LOL

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We refuse to have a contract as have no need for it, so top up only. Our land line (which we really need for the internet only, cost quite a bit but have got it as cheap as we can. Our quarterly calls though, are less than £10 in total. Got us over a barrel really, haven't they?

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.