Monday 13 May 2013

Blood...

Today was another donation day but this time, in the morning rather than the afternoon. I was glad to see that they now have the new sit in chairs (rather like climbing into a giant version of a baby rocker thingy!)

The one they used also had a padded foot rest and I asked for the back rest as I had slightly tweaked my back. Once in, they pull the front up to lay you down. Once finished they half sit you up to check you won't faint, then pull you fully up to get out. All in all, a much more comfortable experience.

I gather they will be replacing all the old uncomfortable tables with these shortly. Had a drink and a mint club biscuit, waited for DB to finish and sup, then left after making reservations for 4 months time. Today was my 42nd and DB his 39th (he was ill a couple of times so couldn't donate) but came along for support.

Having watched Beechwood Grove gardening programme, they recommend (if you are able) to put an open ended cloche over some of your strawberries to bring them on. I have now done this and hope it helps especially with the forecast for the next few weeks not being brilliant - could we dire end of May. You can check it out on the BBC Forecast page.
Finally, to cheer you up after that little bombshell, here is a lovely picture of my apricot flowered Japanese quince


8 comments:

  1. Well done on giving blood, you deserve a medal. Blood isn't my favourite subject as I usually feel faint at the sight of it!

    I have been potting up some strawberry plants as the veggie plot is getting a make over, I have kept 2 troughs in the greenhouse to bring them on a bit, they already have a few flowers on the larger plants.

    We were hoping to go caravanning for the weekend but that might just be on hold after seeing the weather forcast.

    Your quince looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hopefully it will keep some quinces on it to use as quince jelly. I've never covered my strawberry plants before so guess I will have to remember to water them!

      Delete
  2. Well done on the donations! I did my first 3 weeks after my 17th birthday :D

    I've donated 10 times. I'm 25 now but am on my 3rd pregnancy/child so I've not been able to donate that much of late. LOVE the look of the new chairs, my sister mentioned them after she donated last :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the mistake of not donating for 10 years after having my son (no idea why) otherwise it would have been a lot higher figure now. The new chairs are certainly much more comfortable. Hopefully you will soon be able to get back to donating.

      Delete
  3. Your japanese quince is beautiful! Can I also say how I take my hat off to you giving blood! Very commendable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you. We also have a deep red one in the front garden but it rarely does as well.

      Delete
  4. Ive given 32 times, I too missed a few years here and there after having kids. well done to you, every bag we fill is precious and more people should give! We have those new chairs down here in Dorset too!

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least if we donate regularly, we can carry on over 70!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.