Monday 29 July 2013

Cooking and Harvesting...

First of all, welcome to Catriona via Bloglovin, and Donna Ferretti. Glad to have you reading and following, hope you enjoy my witterings!

Yesterday, we went for a quick walk along the beach at Old Hunstanton, to air our minds and bodies. After a bacon buttie at The Beach Cafe, we were home and feeling better for it.

Having read the recipe from Frugal Queen (drop down to 2nd recipe) and the original via A Girl called Jack we decided to give the Kidney Bean, Carrot and Cumin burger recipe a go.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was 1 tsp of Cumin - is that whole or ground? Doesn't matter for the next batch as I have run out. Nor did we have any fresh coriander or parsley so used 1 tablespoon of dried basil and 1 tablespoon dried coriander leaf - we think fresh would be better but you could vaguely taste them.

Also, didn't cook the kidney beans for long enough. They had 10 minutes and we thought them fine, but they were difficult to mash. Left everything to go cold before adding the flour and egg otherwise we didn't think they would meld and be handled very well. Another time, yes there will be at least one more attempt as they are quite nice, we will cook the beans longer or else try them with tinned butter beans, try fresh herbs and experiment with curry paste/chilli sauce/mustard as the thing to mix them rather than an egg. Herewith the picture.
As you can see, we served them with salad and some home made wild plum and date chutney.

Despite it being humid outside, we have both endeavoured to get on with things that need doing here. I potted on some more strawberry babies - need 2 of 2 different varieties, then hopefully, they will all get through winter. If not, I hope to save at least one of each of the 6 different plants.

Some of the Blueberries have been harvested  - 6oz so far off one bush with maybe the same or double the amount yet to be harvested. The fruits on the other bush are still green and tend to fruit after the first one. There is definitely not as many as last year but I have just found out I pruned them incorrectly (to keep them as I want them not because they needed doing).
They are not quite as sweet as normal but are already falling when touched and as heavy rain was forecast overnight, (only got a light shower!) we hope the rest will stay put.

On to my 18 month old Blackcurrant bush. I picked 9oz of those with maybe the same amount or slightly more still to come.

If I get 1 lb, we shall make some jam as it is one of our favourites. If less, I like to top and tail them and stir them into muffins - with no extra sugar. Gives a lovely twang to the flavour!




12 comments:

  1. Your burgers look delicious, I have these in mind for my August menu but will make them with tinned red beans. I have a jar of red pesto to use do you think it a suitable flavour having made them yourself? We are on holiday in wells next the sea at the moment and trying to be "frugal in Norfolk" ourselves.

    Well done with the fruit growing even a small crop gives you a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, these were made with tinned red beans but they still need further cooking to make them soft enough to mash. I should think red pesto would work fine. I plan on experimenting to find the best combination of additions as well as different beans. Happy holidays!

      Delete
  2. I must say I have a bumper year for soft fruits this year, unlike last year where I got absolutely nothing. My blueberries have yet to ripen - just hope I get to them before the blackbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us a long while to decide to invest in a fruit cage, best investment we ever made. Yes, it might take us 5 or so years for it to earn its keep but this is the first year we have eaten all fruit produced without the blasted birds getting it.

      Delete
  3. Those burgers look really tasty. So too do the blueberries. Mine havent done very well this year, in fact one of my plants has died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My soil isn't the right kind for blueberries but so far, with lots of special feeding, they look healthy. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. shame you don't live close to me as I inherited a couple dozen black currant bushes and we can't stand black currants, so they are going to waste.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't you advertise to see if anyone wants them?

      Delete
  5. I use tins of black beans when I make burgers as I find they mash beautifully, hold the burgers together better and have a more 'meaty' taste than other beans. You are lucky with your blueberries, I don't have any! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to find some and give them a go. What would you mash them with?

      Delete
  6. The berries look scrummy we had 1/2lb of Blackcurrants they are so delicous and madee a mixed berry jam and it tastes divine.Hopefully next year our 2 bushes will crop better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look really good. Getting hungry now!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.