Tuesday 10 December 2013

Probably...

The shortest Christmas cake in the world?
It's height measure anywhere between 1 inch and 1 1/2 inches. The recipe, a nice Whisky Dundee cake, was for an 8" pan but I couldn't find it so had to use a 9" one. It was supposed to take 2 -  2 1/2 hours to cook but was finished in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

It has been fed both sides with Whisky and will be double wrapped in cling film and then foil to keep it until we need it. I might well feed it again. There seems to be some debate whether you can keep Dundee cakes but I didn't know that last time I made on and it still looked and tasted fine after 2 - 3 months!

Anyhow, I have now found out they can be kept for up to 2 months fresh and 3 months frozen. I may or may not decorate it with marzipan but no icing.

When it came to washing up the myriad of utensils used, I did my normal water saving trick of only filling up the mixing bowl and washing everything in it before finishing by washing the bowl itself.

Finally, welcome to my three new followers, fluffy muffin, Florence Millo and TrishWish.

6 comments:

  1. I have not had problems with keeping Dundee cakes either. And a flatter cake is good. You can have a good sized wedge without as many calories as you'd get in a taller one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know DC I've got that many bloomin cake tins now I simply haven't got room for them in my kitchen. It doesn't matter what cake I make, it always requires a size I haven't got, so I either put the mix in a different sized tin and it ends up wafer thin, or I storm off down to the Pound shop to buy the right size! Like you I've learnt that an inch all round the tin can make such a difference to its shape. It does look very tasty though. Enjoy!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have space for all mine either so some go up into the attic. I probably should have had a look at the photograph of our kitchen stuff in the attic, bet it was up there. We can't do this size again as it hardly fits into my Tupperware cake container. All tins down stairs have their sizes written on the base in indelible ink.

      Delete
  3. So long as it tastes good! I usually make a fat-free, egg-free fruit cake and put some blanched almonds on the top - I love almonds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a recipe I have made before so hopefully, it will be okay. Yours cake sounds intriguing!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.