Tuesday 15 April 2014

How to un-follow a blog!

Most of us follow many blog's, but how do you get rid of a blog that either you no longer wish to read, the writer of that blog has stopped writing, moved the blog, or is in the process of creating a new one.

I like to housekeep my blog and my computer, to help them run more smoothly and quickly. When Google Reader was still operating, removing a blog was easy and straight forward. Today, I decided to remove some blog's that are no longer active, only to face more than an hours search to find how to do it. It used to be so easy!

Firstly, go to your dashboard, in the section that says Reading List, right click on the gear wheel on the far right of that particular section (not the one at the very top of the page). By right clicking you should then choose "Open in a new tab" which will help you work two screens at once.

It will bring up a new screen "Manage Blog's I'm Following". Go down to the blog you wish to remove, click on the dustbin symbol on the right (it might take a few seconds for the blog to disappear):

Close the tab once you have clicked on any blogs you no longer wish to follow or who are no longer blogging.

To check everything has worked, go back to your dashboard, click on the gear wheel that started the whole process. Hopefully, all the blog's you have deleted should no longer be there.

All you need do now, is to go to layout, make sure you remove them from there, if they are still showing, and you are done.


I hope this has been of use to you.








16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I love trying out blogs but get sick of them and couldnt for the life of me find out how to stop following them - you are a star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - this is the most efficient tutorial I have found for this process. Much decluttering done [but YOUR blog remains on the roll, naturally!!] Easter blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read blogs by clicking on them on my blogroll when people post new blogs they come to the top. Then I just delete any disused blogs by removing them from the blog roll in the same way as adding them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that removes them from your blog roll as you chose who, from your reading list, to put on your blog roll. You can add and remove them from your blog roll with ease. This tutorial is to permanently remove blog's from your reading list, (and also on your blog roll if they are on there as well). The reading list (on which I have 27 blogs) and the blog roll (on which I current display 22/27 blog's) are two different things and it is easy to end up with a huge reading list of blog's, which is different to those on your blog roll. I chop and change my blog roll depending on how often people post, so the writing is as up to date as possible. Some people have blog's on their blog rolls that have not had a post written for 2 or more years.

      Delete
  4. I never lost you :)
    Have to admit I am struggling with following and commenting on all of my blogs since Google Reader went. I HATE Feedly and a few others I've tried. Resorting to opening a huge bookmark folder all in tabs when I get onto the big computer instead of my phone browser. I am currently trialling Bloglovin' which is ok so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you could do one on how to update your payment information for Blogger that would be great. The instructions given don't work. Shockingly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what you were talking about as I didn't buy a custom domain from Blogger. However, don't know if either of these tips will help:
      http://blogger-hints-and-tips.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/changing-credit-card-that-is-used-for.html
      OR
      You update your payment information, in Google Wallet. Google Wallet is accessed from the menu above, beneath "More". Can you click on "More", and find the selection "Wallet"?

      Delete
  6. Well done for very useful information! Don't need it at the moment, but I might do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Glad to hear you are doing well, if a little weepy!

      Delete
  7. I'm going to follow your instructions later. I wish I knew what happened to some of the people I used to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that....I am a little bored with the guy that commandeered Hester's old site :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.