Monday, 12 May 2014

Ta dah!

Welcome to Marci Potter via Bloglovin.

I decided to test drive the thermal bag before doing the final sewing, just in case I hadn't filled each segment enough. You can see the temporary blue tacking and orange string used!

Sure enough, heat was escaping near the top of each segment, due to lack of beads. Each segment had its tacking unpicked in the middle, more beads were added and then tacked again. In the end, each segment needed 1.5 mugs of beads for this sized bag. I also decided to make a larger top padded mat.

The inner circle which holds the beads, was eventually permanently closed, with a nice decorative honeycomb stitch, to hide the rather crude internal zigzag:

Another problem I had, was that the material strap I made to go through the outer bit to close the bag, was just not slippery enough. So much tugging was required, it became dangerous. We went to buy some shiny curtain cord, testing it furtively in the shop to check its strength. Anyhow, here it is, finally finished - not too bad in the end:
And with two second-hand toggles to finish off the cord, once it had been oversewn and knotted:
Next time, I'll show you my trial cooking results!

14 comments:

  1. I'm following this with interest !
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I want to make one (need a bit more practice with the machine!) but was considering stuffing it with cotton upholstery stuffing which we have lying around.

    I've actually got a hay box that I cook in but it takes up lot of room. Its very satisfying to cook with though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you need on the sewing side, to be able to make it, is straight stitching, the most basic stitch on sewing machines. Cotton upholstery stuffing should work as I believe some one has used something similar. Most people seem to make them in something that can be washed if needed to.

      Delete
  3. So wise to test drive beforehand - such a simple thing, but makes all the difference.
    I should have loved to see your 'furtive cord testing' - what did you do? attempt to garotte a display mannequin? Suspend a heavy weight over the edge of the counter? Discreetly tie one end to a shopfitting and tug Very Hard? I love your recycled toggles on the end.
    Do let us know how the cooking works out! blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as bad as it sounds, we unwound about 2 metres, tugged very hard on either end with no movement so decided it was a good strong cord!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic so far, really looking forward to the next stage x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am intrigued by this, looking forward to your trials xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choosing the right sized pan seems to be the answer. x

      Delete
  6. aww my first shout out...thanks! I'm looking forward to following along and slowing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Marci, always like to mention new followers!

      Delete
  7. Loving the little tassel ends, very cute x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially put on other things that you slip and tighten as you pull but the cord is too slippery.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.