Monday 23 June 2014

Multi-tasking, not...

First of all, welcome to Penny Wise via here and Susan Bell via Bloglovin.

I have always been able to multi-task quite easily, but have noticed recently, that I am not as good as I used to be. For example, I was making yoghurt and marmalade, plus dancing to the radio (like you do). All was going swimmingly until a particular stage of the yoghurt making.

The milk was at the correct temperature for adding the yoghurt starter (a little of the last batch was in a small bowl). I picked up the bowl and very nearly scraped it into the sink instead of the warm milk. First problem avoided.

Got it right but then, almost poured it into the outer container that has the heating element in it, rather than the inner container. Sorted myself out and did it all fine in the end:

Back to the marmalade which by now was ready for putting into the jam jars. Although I was cooking basic marmalade, I like to vary the flavour, so 2 jars were for adding diced ginger and syrup to, 2 more for adding whisky to and the last 2 to be left plain.

I use a jam funnel and all again went well, until for some odd reason, I picked up one of the hot jars without realising it had too thin a neck. I stood the funnel on top (rather than in it) and started to pour in a ladle full of hot marmalade. Yes, you guessed, it ran out between the funnel and top of the jar.

Luckily I noticed quickly and was able to save most of that ladle full. Wiping up hot marmalade is no joke but I stopped to do it whilst fishing out another jar from the oven. Anyway, halfway through each flavour, I stopped to add either ginger or whisky and finished off. It has set well, even if the ginger has (unusually) sunk to the bottom. I shall look forward to that bit enormously!
We also managed to get 3/4 of a mug full which will be scraped out into our marmalade jar. We haven't had marmalade on our Sunday toast for nearly a month and have missed it.

8 comments:

  1. Not thought of adding extras will try next time. I keep opening fridge instead of the microwave. yesterday stood in downstairs loo wondering why then remembered I wanted milk out of fridge.think we all try doing to many things at once so go dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added Drambuie, Cointreau, glacé pineapple etc. No end of things you can add. I boil the marmalade plain, half fill a jar, add the extra, then top up, usually works except for fresh pineapple which can make the marmalade not set. Someone suggested you can lightly boil it to get rid of its enzymes but haven't tried that.

      Delete
    2. I must have been doing it wrong. I added whisky into the pan and I think I must have boiled it away as I couldn’t taste it. You just add at the end?

      Delete
    3. Yes I do into the jars after half filling them.

      Delete
  2. It's all looking wonderful, Dc - perhaps you were just a little stressed that day. Does funny things to your co-ordination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly was or just getting a bit older!

      Delete
  3. Preserves are on my list of things to do when I get back from Wales, I have about thirty jars in the garage, I fancy lemon and ginger, and orange and whisky. Hubby use to say why don't you just buy it save you all that work, but he soon changes his mind when he eats it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat homemade. We find the shop bought stuff too sweet. MiL used to make Rum and lemon and Lemon and carrot!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.