Wednesday 18 February 2015

Greens...

First of all, welcome to Lottie from Bloglovin. We had 7 1/2 pancakes each last night, with either lemon and sugar or Maple syrup. Very nice they were too!

About this time of year, I get desperate for some fresh spring greens. I don't grow (although love) broccoli and such like,  but DB hates them and I cannot eat it all. Last year I tried growing one brussels sprout and a couple of cabbages, inside the fruit cage. It kept them free of pigeons but we watched in amazement, as cabbage white butterflies folded their wings and crept through the mesh!

Solution - sow some salad leaves:
The tub on the left has cress and spring onions in it. The one on the right, broccoli, red sprouts, radish and various lettuces. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, we shall be able to add the cuttings to either sandwiches or top off some coleslaw.

Whilst we all know that winter is not yet done, the evenings are beginning to stay lighter for longer. March will see the clocks go forward, then we will be on our way. Not wishing time away or anything...

4 comments:

  1. The best laid plans eh? I grew a few Chinese Broccoli plants in pots this year and it has been so mild they bolted in the first week of January.

    I never thought to grow spring onions as micro greens. I might have to try that.

    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoying isn't it! Yes, we are fine thanks. Just had to follow you again as none of your posts have been showing!

      Delete
  2. That looks like fun, I most definitely am going to give it a try, I love micro salads. I still haven't done pancake day yet, as my to teenagers keep telling me, doing it tonight. Woo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never looks as neat as the cress you buy in the shops but is an excellent way to use up out of date seeds!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.