Friday 15 May 2015

Shopping and baking

We were out first thing this morning, catching the end of work traffic in the process, to do a top up shop.

Normally, top up shopping is food and a few toiletries but this shop, totalling £30.50, was primarily non essential food items. You know the kind of thing, soy sauce, bicarb of soda, similar things which you need in the background of the food cupboards but which only get used every now and then.

As it turned out, most of these ran out within the last week or so. Apart from those, only milk, cheese, eggs, butter and fish fingers were food items - ah well!

Today has turned out lovely, sunny, warm and with a gentle breeze unlike yesterday, which was cold and windy. We didn't get the rain but looking at the forecast for next week, may get some light rain on several days. Mind you, those forecasts often change on a daily basis so who knows.

We have run out of cake, I know, a calamity! In the mood for something to take us through a few days, I have opted for another malt loaf. The fruit in it this time, are raisins, sultana's, re-hydrated pineapple and pear. Fresh out of the oven, here it is:

Once cold, it will be wrapped and stored for 2 - 3 days before being squidgy enough to eat:)

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I hate those kinds of shopping trips but the malt loaf looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Have to wait 2 days now but should be good.

      Delete
  2. That looks yummy! Have you all ready posted a recipe for this one? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipe under the recipe tab. I don't glaze it though, sticky enough eventually.

      Delete
  3. Oh that cake looks bloody lovely m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used your recipe. I can highly recommend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out loads before settling on that one.

      Delete
  5. Run out of cake? RUN OUT OF CAKE? Tragedy strikes! Seriously, I hate it when there isn't any cake, just a slice with coffee or tea in the afternoon or evening is such a treat, especially when you don't really want another slice of toast and marmalade or marmalade on a cream cracker (one of my favourite snacks).
    Yesterday, although there were several bananas going brown and ideal for banana and walnut loaf, we'd had that rather often in recent weeks and so I made lemon drizzle cake. Oh, it has to be my favourite - light and moist and soooo lemony! But I rather like the idea of the pineapple in your cake. Lidl's, right now, have some chocolate-coated pineapple in their De Luxe brand, and they are gorgeous!
    Little treats are essential to life, they make all the hard work and scrimping worth while!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't eat cake very often but when you want a treat, cake hits the spot nicely.

      Delete
  6. Can anyone give me a straightforward way to help me make a monthly meal plan. ? The challenge is that we are a family of 3 who only eat together at weekends because of our working hours. One is vegetarian ....I'm very frugal but think I could save more. I shop mainly at Aldi and do not have a car so can only carry a few bags home at once. Sue H. South Norfolk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have access to my iPad at the moment and hate typing lengthy replies so will try and answer sometime next week when my computer is back.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.