Saturday 28 November 2015

GF Farmhouse Seeded Bread - semi successful

I thought I would have a go at a different GF bread, hoping after reading, that I could make some rolls. Nope! Here is where the recipe came from Farmhouse Seeded Bread

I decided to make 1/2 a batch just in case it didn't work properly and also because we had no psyllium husks, so I needed to substitute those with ground golden linseed!

It was supposed to eventually be just sticky with the addition of 1/4 to 1/2 a cup more of flour. Nope! Eventually, I gave up and left it in the bowl:(

Here is the first stage, ready to prove:
It took an age to prove but at least it did that okay. However, it was still very sticky and there was no way it would be able to be formed into rolls or even into a free form loaf.

The only thing I could do with it was to put it in a lined silicon loaf tin, in 4 balls, still hoping that somewhere along the line, the loaf could be broken into 4! It was put to one side for another hour to prove which it did half heartedly.

This time, the timing of 40 minutes at 200C was okay but it was not brown like her loaf was. Herewith a sideways shot:
Here from the top - a weird colour:
We sliced it and ate it over the next two days with soup. Texture was exceedingly gummy, taste was not great but it was edible. I think some of the problems with these GF recipes it that they have created their own bread flours from various things. Most of us can only buy a bag of GF flour ready prepared, we don't have any choice as it what is in it! Onwards and upwards.

We shall be enjoying the tennis Davis Cup final all this weekend. I thought Kyle might have clinched it yesterday after going 2 - 0 up but I think he just ran out of steam as he normally plays on the less taxing Challenger tours. Still, a very good start and I think he will just get better and better over the next few years.

Andy did well but I think we really need to win the doubles today to give us any chance. Either way, win or lose, we know we will have done our best.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!


1 comment:

  1. While a small number of people are truly gluten intolerant the gluten-free movement is a fad which has been fueled by advertising agencies and marketers......anything to make a buck....hopefully this fad will run its course in the next year or two.....wonder what the next fad will be....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.