Monday 4 April 2016

Changes since trying to be gluten free

Welcome to Anne Christine Simpson via Bloglovin.

Since the beginning of December last year, due to one of our Christmas visitors eating gluten free, I have, for the most part, eaten likewise. It has been quite difficult when out as there are still not many gf sandwiches/cakes/pasta based food in eating establishments. On that score, I feel for those who are coeliacs and must eat gluten free.

At home we are probably 99% gf due to eating normal oats and oat based cereal that has barley extract in it. Other than that, we both try to stick to it.

The biggest immediate changes are in my digestion, no longer feeling bloated (although it still does happen on occasions), and not having so much indigestion.

Recently though I paid some attention to my nails. Now all my life, I have had vertical ridges on them so it came as quite a shock to realise these have reduced by 50%. They are still visible but flatter and my right hand is better than my left. My nails now have a natural sheen to them and seem to be a little stronger altogether.

Whilst reading today about gluten free eating it mentioned headaches and it struck me that these have also reduced greatly. They used to happen very frequently and sometimes on and off for days - not so now.

Interesting!

6 comments:

  1. It's great that you have noticed such positive changes following your efforts. I eat quite a lot of bread and pasta so I do feel I should at least cut down a little. I'm feeling curious now as to what affect it may have. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GF pasta is different but still nice to eat. We still get through 1 - 2 loaves of home made gf bread a week as we eat it most days.

      Delete
  2. when I found out pork scratchings were GF it dawned on me that I could stick to a diet like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I could eat too many though!

      Delete
  3. I am coeliac which is why I appreciate your recipes so much!
    I am struggling to find the ingredients for your loaf recipe so may have to order on line eventually.
    The pasta, I gather, is different but I'm glad you say it is nice cause my husband always says it's fine and not to bother cooking him ordinary pasta. It has worried me that perhaps he was just being kind. Now I feel reassured.
    Yet another reason to say thank you. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I order online but Holland and Barratt sell quite a bit, when I run out. We find gf pasta lighter than normal.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.