Wednesday 13 July 2016

Going Frugal...

I have been reading a few blogs lately where the writer has 'gone frugal'. They all have differing reasons for doing so but one or two do seem to have one thing in common - when writing about their decision, they seem to have the mind set of it being a chore/something to be put up with etc.

Being frugal can and does become a bit of a chore over a long period of time, especially if life doesn't seem to be improving due to financial circumstances not improving.

I do wonder though, just how many of those who think it a chore to begin with, will actually stay with it, due to that mindset?

Being frugal will succeed in the long term if you have a goal in mind. That goal might be paying off the mortgage, saving for a deposit on a house, paying off bills, one or more members of the household either losing a job, about to lose one or being in work which pays poorly, with no foreseeable way out. You could be saving for a wedding, retirement, moving abroad later in life etc. For some, treading lightly and leaving a lighter eco footprint is the reason. Simple living.

Some goals are short term and very achievable but those in it for the long haul, year after year after year of hard slog, can become disenchanted with the whole shebang.

We were frugal for nearly 10 years, very, very frugal. 6 of those years we had to live on war rations just to be able to eat, especially as we had a young son at the time. We are no longer in that particular position but those years were hard. Today, we are still as frugal as we need to be due to no longer working, each of us is no longer bringing in a wage. Instead we rely on a work related pension and a government one. I am years away from bringing in any pension due to changes in the rules. If the goal posts keep on changing, I may never bring one in!

We hope those lean years, gave our son an incite into how not to waste money now they are on good wages. The seed was sown back then but only they can water and nourish it and aim for a comfortable life with savings to back them up in emergencies. They are treading a different road to us, so they should, life is different now and will be different in the future.

So to anyone beginning a frugal more simple journey, get your mindset right. Don't think of it as a chore from the beginning, but more an adventure into the unknown. Doing so, might just give you a chance to succeed and that is all everyone needs in life isn't it?


16 comments:

  1. This is so true - my attempts at 'Frugalism' inevitably last about a month until I start to slip into my old ways. Perhaps you are right and the key is not to think of yourself as doing anything differently but just living life in a sustainable way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, if your life hasn't taken a massive down turn requiring instant frugality, don't try it in the cold turkey method - wham bang etc. Choose one thing at a time to alter for one month, then another etc and soon, it will become natural.

      Delete
  2. Wise words. The first 10 years of marriage were incredibly frugal as we saved to put OH through college and then lived through student years. The next 15 were hard on lowish income with 2 growing girls. 5 years of relative affluence - I was working, girls had left home. But now back to frugality again in order to buy our retirement home for 2021. And that is fine because we have a purpose. And frugality is our fun way of life not a chore. You are absolutely right in what you say. I do promise you though, that when we do finally retire to Swanton Morley, I shall not rename my blog "frugal in Norfolk #2"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Positive mental attitude is a powerful thing and like you say, I wonder how many will keep it up if they go into it thinking it is a chore from the onset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt it needed saying as I find it troubling.

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with you Dc, for sometime I tried to become more frugal but always found it damn near impossible due to my mind set (when I had a mind to set that is). But having a clear target certainly helps one to focus and help being frugal less of a chore. The target does not have to be major either just something that retains focus, for me it is the prospect of leaving factory work, and it's like clockwork paycheck, once and for all and working outdoors doing something that I enjoy.
    Your comment to Bonnie makes a great deal of sense to, instead of dramatic change (unless circumstance forces this upon one) take the time to adjust at a steady rate and soon these small changes become part of your daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is generally so much better with lots of little steps and the occasional large stride.

      Delete
  5. Have you heard about"WASPI" Women against state pension inequality? Have a look at their web site. We had a demo outside the Houses of Parliament two weeks ago and a mass lobby of MPs. Trouble was with everything else going on that day there was no news coverage but we keep on. There was an article in the Guardian last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post. I think you've said it perfectly.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post. Frugality can be disheartening sometimes - in our case we have sometimes took one step forward and three steps back! It does pay off though eventually. It doesn't help when everyone around you is spending like there's no tomorrow - my pick me up thought is that I don't have to go out to work any more - unfortunately hubby does!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken me years to stop feeling guilty for not doing anything for a while. Now, somedays, I don't much at all and feel fine about it!

      Delete
  8. Love this post..worded perfectly
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have made changes little by little. They are now second nature to me. I love the game were I never pay full price for something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love frugal people, I feel I'm among friends.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.