Monday 7 November 2016

Anniversary and Beef Joint

Wow, I have been blogging for 5 years, beginning on 19th October 2011. Where does the time go?

I don't know about you, but I am getting more and more fed up with beef joints that are on the market these days. The cows have been bred to no longer have that delicious marbling throughout the flesh which keeps the joint moist when cooking.

Anyway, we tried again and although okay it wasn't over tasty. We took enough slices off the joint to have a hot meal and left the rest to go cold.

The next day, it was cubed and put through my mincer. I got enough to make a cottage pie for tea:
Reserving some of the gravy for tea, the rest (which tastes delicious despite the meat not tasting as good), had the rest of the minced beef added, plus a tin of tomatoes, an extra stock cube and a squirt of tomato puree added, to create beef and tomato soup for lunch:
There was about two ladles of soup left so fresh chopped tomatoes were added to DB's then pasta and it was topped with cheese:
I added leftover cauliflower to mine:
So, the £7 joint gave us three meals each for tea, and soup for lunch, not too shabby methinks!

13 comments:

  1. Great improvisation with the leftovers. I know what you mean about beef not having the fat to give it flavour. I buy cheaper joints and slow cook now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a shame though isn't it. No doubt, suppliers will tell us it is what we want!

      Delete
  2. Haven't bought a joint of beef for about 20 years. So we only get to eat it when we go to a carvery...........once in a blue moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is probably the best idea.

      Delete
  3. I agree. Slow cooking is far tastier. A good butcher should sell the better roasting beef but it costs a small fortune, sadly.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was slow cooked but still shrank to an alarmingly small size:(

      Delete
  4. I really was impressed with the leftovers. I never think to make soups with meat leftover, such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Just done something similar with leftover pork!

      Delete
  5. We don't eat a lot of beef but when we do I always buy the best I can so free range grass fed etc. I've discovered that even organic isn't always grass fed so I look for grass fed beef if I'm having it. It's not cheap but I'd rather do without than buy it and be disappointed. My NHS pension is less than yours as I decided to leave at 56 meaning a massively reduced amount and no building up to it either bit of a shock I can tell you lol. Your tips are great and much appreciated. All our bills have been slashed including BT who as you say agreed to give us a better deal when we said we would find a new provider. However reducing our groceries bill is much harder and I'd hesitate to say how much we spend after reading blogs last Christmas re those tv programmes lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My NHS pension is tiny as I didn't stay for very long at all, due to bad health and family dilemmas at the time.

      Delete
  6. Not too shabby at all!!

    Excellent to stretch it to so many tasty and varied meals. My Lovely Hubby despairs of the 'fat phobia' surrounding meat joints. The fat is there for a reason, no fat no basting juices ... and dry meat as you so rightly say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably the reason why we eat pork more than any other meat, even then, only small amounts.

      Delete
  7. I rarely cook beef apart from mince meat and don't know what to do with it - it's great how you have stretched it out over so many meals! Happy 5 year blogging anniversary! I also started blogging in 2011 and couldn't believe how long I had been doing it for - it's addictive this blogging malarkey!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.