Tuesday 15 November 2016

Cheese and Pancetta Palmiers - Gluten Free

The lovely Kate at The Gluten Free Alchemist, recently trialled some GF Puff Pastry courtesy of Mr. T., which you will find in a red packet in the chiller cabinets, see here.

One of the things I like to cook for Christmas - oh dear, there's that word already, is Cheese and Pancetta Palmiers by Delia Smith. Whilst I can't find her recipe online, there are numerous others to choose from.

As this pastry is readly rolled, and free of almost everything, I decided to melt some butter to coat the inner layers with as I was working. Edit - don't need it! Although the recipe method calls for a slight re-roll halfway through, I also didn't want to risk it as I didn't know how the pastry would work. Anyway, herewith my stages:

This pastry, very irritatingly, comes in a circle so I measured and just about managed to get the required size of 12" x 8":

Onto this surface, I brushed melted butter and ground on some black pepper:
Differing from the recipe method, I covered this entire piece with most of the cheese and all the pancetta:
Folded both edges into the middle and brushed with more butter and added the rest of the cheese:
Both edges were brought together again, adding another brush of melted butter, to help them stick slightly, before being cut into fingers:
I had to do fingers rather than the more flat biscuit type recommended as GF pastry seems to behave a little differently at this particular stage.

They were put onto a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper, slightly flattened and baked at 220C for 18 - 20 minutes until done:

Once out the oven, put them onto kitchen roll for a few seconds, to dry up the excess grease before transferring onto the cooling rack.

DB gave the pastry 8/10 and I gave it 7/10 because it was a little greasy. Mind you, I think that might be because of the added butter and using pancetta rather than proscuitto ham - changes to be made next time.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Nicer warm as they go a little harder when cold.

      Delete
  2. Looks so yummy. Will definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great with normal puff pastry if that is what you eat.

      Delete
  3. These look good DC. Love the pancetta and cheese combination. I can see why it would be a little greasy in the pastry though...... I found I definitely needed to use kitchen paper to soak up the excess oil after cooking.
    I used the pastry last week to make a salmon pie. It was okay, but a little disappointing because it didn't puff as much as I would have liked and being a non-butter pastry, I thought it was a little bitter against the salmon which has a less strong flavour than the swirls I made. Still...... It's great to have a quick and ready made option! Small steps...... the bar is there to be raised!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slightly overcooked and slightly hard, best fresh.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.