Wednesday 23 November 2016

Chocolate Mocha Roulade GF

The Glutenfree Alchemist - aka Kate - posted the recipe for this here.

It looked so good I just had to try it. I didn't buy enough mascapone (250g instead of 300g) so used what I had and used 50g less icing sugar, there was plenty. I normally hate making rolled bakes of any kind as they can be difficult and very nearly didn't even try but I did and herewith some photographs. Ready for the oven:
The method calls for baking at 180C for 15 minutes but mine was ready after 10! Turned out onto parchment paper covered in cocoa and icing sugar:
Carefully rolled up and pegged into place before leaving to go cold. It also looked similar to this once the mascapone layer had been added and it was put into the fridge to firm up:
Just removed from the fridge - look at that roll:
A portion of mascapone and cream flowers added. I can't ice to save myself so just did a couple of rows then tipped the rest into a bowl for another day. A few chocolate drops added to the centre of each 'flower':

The flavour is intense, very strong in the coffee department. I think this would be great for Christmas but I would have to make a simple vanilla or just a chocolate one for my guests as they are not too keen on strong coffee. The combinations are endless.

The texture is beautiful but we would reduce the sugar a little next time, in both the sponge and mascapone elements, maybe 10g or so less as we are not too keen on too sweet a dessert.

Ab fab darling!

10 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful and the roll up is just brilliant!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was quite pleased with the roll up!

      Delete
  2. Wow - no cracks and looks very yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, must be a fluke. Mind you, it probably would have broken if I'd not taken it out of the oven when I did!

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing. How do you get it to roll up without breaking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making sure it was just cooked then using the paper it has been flipped onto to roll it up with, making sure the paper rolls up inside as you go, then it shouldn't stick to itself.

      Delete
  4. WOW! THAT is FANTASTIC! I always breathe a sigh of relief when someone else has made one of my recipes and it has worked for them too! Sometimes it is quite scary putting my recipes out into the big wide world..... But this is amazing! And you definitely have a better roll than mine.... I hope it tastes as incredible as it looks.....!
    Baking times are always a little tetchy..... I try to trust that people will know their ovens.... I may be ready for a new one!!!! Thanks for the back-links to the blog xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I am pretty sure my oven is too hot but not always:(

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.