Tuesday 22 November 2016

ELO

For those not in the know, that is the Electric Light Orchestra. Last night there was not much on the tv or even on our recorder so we went online. I had previously seen this advertised but hadn't checked it out.

Anyway, we found ELO in Hyde Park 2014 which was on tv last Friday I believe and clicked to watch it. Although Jeff's voice has faded a little, particularly on the higher notes, he sounded almost the same and my memories returned to 1978 when I went to see them live in Germany, where I was living at the time.

We were in a venue (can't remember where though probably Dortmund), that had an upper tier, where we were sitting at a 90 degree angle to the stage, middle right on this picture, I seem to remember coming up the stair and sitting on the left:
I remember the multi-coloured UFO being on stage and the fact we were almost deafened by the loudness of the music (we were not that far from the speakers unfortunately).

The whole of my rib cage and in particular my sternum, was vibrating and I was getting just a tad worried about my ears. Off I went to get a frankfurter in a roll, ate it and then proceeded to chew on the cardboard holder until I had enough softish mush to stuff into my ears. I know, pretty gross but it did the trick.

The whole show was fantastic, people singing at the top of their voices, dancing on the floor below. I was immersed not only in the sound and atmosphere but also had a good view of the music mixers/directors operating their machines just below us.

It is still on the iplayer so if you get a chance, check it out. Also, click here to have a listen!

Ah memories...

1 comment:

  1. I saw them the same year 1978 in Paris. I was 20 and doing an internship in Paris. I also saw Bob Dylan - heady times!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.