Friday 18 November 2016

Jelly and apple dessert

Our walking buddy E., told us about this dessert but I don't know where she got it from. Anyhow, weigh 1lb of cooking apples AFTER removing skin and cores. Simmer in just enough water to cook. Add a small amount of sugar and stir it - you need to leave it slightly tart otherwise the end result may be too sweet. Mash or puree and leave to go cold.

When cold, make up a packet of jelly with only half the recommended amount of water. Below I am using a lemon jelly - not our favourite so far:
Whilst the jelly is still hot, stir it into the apples:
Cover and put into the fridge for 24 hours. It takes this long to set. You can use any jelly, normal or sugar free. So far we have used the above, black cherry and blackcurrant.

When set, use:
I think you will really enjoy this. We think the more traditional flavours that go with apple suit best but it is up to you. Adjust the sugar to your tastes.

That's it for this week, have a lovely weekend.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds dangerous like a refreshing dessert. I like cooking apples, but don't always want pie, sponge, or crumble with them. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to make something similar instead of fruit I used a fruit you hurt , my kids loved it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of that, light and refreshing instead of stodge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother used to make us apple jelly when I was a child in the 1970's. Raspberry jelly and apple was our favourite. Sadly my children don't like apple jelly so if I make one it's all for my husband and I :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We reckon it would work with other fruit puree as well.

      Delete
  5. NOw that sounds really good - and a great alternative to all the other recipes when you have a glut of apples!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds and even looks tasty. We love jelly, and use several flavours to make up fruit jellies, i.e. mandarins and orange or tangerine jelly, pear with lime jelly (that's lovely) but this is a new take, as you cook the apples first.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try this for the kids this week, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.