Wednesday 30 November 2016

Lamb Shanks

These were on offer this week in Lidl. Having never tried them, thought we would give them a go. Each box has one and they were £2.49:
Fresh from the box:
After 30 minutes in the oven:
We don't normally eat such large dinners but were using up leftovers of everything else. So then, what did we think?

Well from a meat point of view, good value for money and you could use the bone to make soup. The meat was tender but we both thought it and the gravy (mint) lacked flavour.

Would we use them again - no. Mainly from the lack of flavour point of view and obviously that is just us.

We both said we would rather buy the lamb, cook it ourselves and be able to make better, more flavoursome gravy ourselves.

9 comments:

  1. I think I'll continue to make my own mint sauce and use small amounts of meat from a butcher who sources traditional breeds fed in traditional ways! We have been eating far smaller meat portions though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never usually eat that much either (no pud), nor do we usually ever buy ready prepared items such as these.

      Delete
  2. I would agree entirely with your review. If you are ever in Dorset, checkout the guy on Wimborne Market who sells very similar lamb shanks, already prepared just as these are - but slightly cheaper and infinitely better flavour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip though doubt we'll be able to test taste them.

      Delete
  3. I am with you completely, I bought some last year when they were on a half price offer. I much prefer to make such things from scratch and look out for shoulder shanks, smaller and tastier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely have shoulder but I reckon slow roasted, it would be divine. Must try some.

      Delete
  4. I only buy lamb on offer and it's normally a whole leg. The shank end is cut off slightly large which then becomes a roast for two and a lamb hotpot for two. The fat leg end is used for 3-4 meals or large family today. I love lamb the flavour is just beautiful but restrict myself because of the fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, only buy legs when on offer. I think pork is raoidly becoming our favourite meat.

      Delete
    2. My mum has had something similar from Asda and from what I remember she said that they were tasty.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.