Monday 17 April 2017

Re-purposing...

A few years ago, we used to have one of those 4 tier greenhouses that had a zip opening front to it. The cover has long since gone but I kept the shelves. This year, in my bean and pea bed, I have put them between the rows of broad beans:

Each one was tied to a cane, in three places down each side, with tie wraps, then the cane pushed into the ground. I still have another one to use where the little trays of beetroot seedlings are sitting at the rear of the pictures.

Up these, I am planning on growing dwarf peas, with just one one row sown each side so the bed doesn't become a tangled mess.

Hopefully it works as I don't really have access to twigs to support any peas. The net covers are temporary to keep off the pidgeons until everything gets a bit more established!

6 comments:

  1. We put beetroot straight in the ground.............hopeless, hardly any have come up. Been to cold and windy to do anything outside this weekend.

    Your bean bed is looking good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Our first row of peas were sowm too early and didn't make it. Second row now in. Broad beans were module sown.

      Delete
  2. (Third attempt to comment, please delete two previous if they've all come through!)
    Ha! Lost track of the number of repurposes my shelves have had! Including putting them down on the earth to create a handy grid for seed sowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea although with larger seeds, I put them direct on the soil and push them in.

      Delete
    2. Ihave permanent beds, so I use the grids for spacing - a beetroot seed for example is three squares away from its neighbour in either direction. Still direct sown, but just a bit obsessive about my spacings! LOL

      Delete
    3. Ha, a little like square inch gardening, very good use.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.