Saturday 11 November 2017

Even though....

We are spending another Christmas on our own, that doesn’t stop me making a few festive items for us and family when they visit later on. Today, I made a half batch of Delia Smith’s Christmas mincemeat but dropped the sugar down to 4oz rather than 6oz.

The kitchen smells wonderful as it sits cooling down, allowing the melted fat to coat the apple which seems to stop it fermenting. It easily stores from one Christmas to the next so there is no need to rush to use it. We find shop bought mincemeat far too sweet and sickly.

Next some piccalilli and marmalade methinks!

I was looking forward to watching Jamie in the doubles at the atp but the BBC tend to only show the singles matches (no Andy this year but we also follow Goffin). We have subscribed to t-n-is tv to watch it. All 30 matches for a few pounds, not too bad at all.

Have a lovely weekend folks.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found the recipe as many years ago I made some and it fermented and that put me off making and the bought stuff is often very runny - don't want soggy bottoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh no matron, no soggy bottoms allowed!

      Delete
  2. I love Delia's recipe and have some left over from last Christmas. It should be wonderful; in a few months' time.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have about 2” in a big jar left to use, stored in the fridge, just to be safe!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.