Wednesday 8 November 2017

Stretching a cheap meal even further...

First of all though, congratulations to Andy and Kim Murray on the birth of your daughter this morning! Great to see you playing in your charity match last night. Keep getting that hip better.

One of the cheapest meals I make is  a mushroom one. It could be curry, chilli, bolagnaise, goulash or in a sour cream sauce. The main 'expence' is mushrooms and onions, followed by a bit of chilli, curry paste or said cream, sometimes a little Quorn gets added as well.

Yesterday, I wanted to stretch a meal further. I realised that this is a 5 week shopping month and I had only allowed money for 4 weeks. Yes, I could use an extra weeks money but reckon if I stretch some of the meals, like this one, there will be no need.

Using 1 punnet of mushrooms (special Lidl deal 69p), 1 onion, 2 tablespoons curry paste, 1 tablespoon tomato puree, 1 tin butter beans, 1 stock cube and a little coconut milk powder, I made this:
We had one plate each and this much was left over for another day:
Including the rice, it came to about £2 for 4 meals, so 50p per person per meal. Not too bad at all!

I did the same with tomatillo chicken the next night and vegetable bolognese sauce last night, an extra three meals in the freezer without really thinking too much about it.

8 comments:

  1. Your mushroom dish sounds delicious. I love stretching meals like that, it is working really well fir us now we don't have a large freezer, instead of cooking a double batch I cook just a little more than a serving each and roll the extra over to form the basis of our meal the following day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have freezer inventories and check those first when meal planning. Your way is great though, we each have to do what works for us.

      Delete
  2. Looks delish!
    My freezer "shopping" is going well. Yesterday I found 2 meals lurking that I can't even remember freezing. Both in lidded trays and labelled - so minced beef hotpot for us tonight and frozen peas. I stuck to a list last Saturday and saved £££s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this age of ever increasing prices its wonderful to be able to stretch meals out. Saves money and that other precious commodity, time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mushrooms, and use them to bulk out things to stretch them.I was able to hobble about in the kitchen yesterday so made pies, jam tarts, bread and a slow cooker full of chickpea curry that will go into the freezer. I think today I will make shepherds' pie filling and freeze that. I'm feeling the need to stock up on homemade ready meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always make jam tarts with any leftover pastry from pie making. On their own or with hot custard - delicious. Have you tried cold liver oil. A lady I knew with arthritis took the liquid form in strong fruit juice and holding her nose to swallow it, and she swore by it for her arthritis?

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.