Wednesday 7 March 2018

Batch cooking...

Three containers of what we in the UK call Cottage Pie or Shepherds Pie if you use lamb. I often make it with pork as well, don’t know the official name of that. Apparently Cumberland Pie has cheese and breadcrumbs on it:

Beef mince and carrots cooked until tender and strained - I also added some Quorn beef strips:
Stock made up into a rich gravy and a little put on top of the mince. Topped with smooth mashed potato:
The gravy bled through into the potato whilst they were cooling.

Topped with grated cheese, we had one with peas and gravy for tea. The other two have gone into the freezer for future meals.

This was the first taste of Quorn beef strips and we enjoyed them.

13 comments:

  1. I suppose 'pigsty pie' might be a bit inappropriate!
    They look delicious!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my sort of cooking! We had Quorn mince a while back - very nice it was too and cheaper than beef mince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like it mixed in with meat and also added to soups.

      Delete
  3. Love batch cooking and I'm very good at labeling now so I can retrieve something from the freezer with confidence! The cottage pies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of freezer food is good but don’t always remember to label:(

      Delete
  4. The pies look lovely and will be handy to pull from the freezer on those busy days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose if it's "shepherd's pie" for lamb it should be "swineherders" pie for pork. When we were on holiday in the Cevennes area opf France, our hosts fed us with "goat herders" pie.
    But then, what does it make it if it's made with lentils, I wonder? "Lentil herders pie?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have no dea, interesting though!

      Delete
  6. Another one for you - Teviot pie is topped with a suet pastry crust and is deeply delicious! I also love a Gardeners pie - the vegetarian version of cottage or Shepherds. Shepher's Pie is known as "'Spy" in my house. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some of those dishes and was wondering how they fare in the freezer, so you have just answered my question.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.