Friday 21 September 2018

Quinces...

I didn't get many quinces this year, but that was a vast improvement on last year.  Our tree is trained around an arch which it is not particularly happy about. That is where it has to be so it can sulk or fruit!
They would normally be larger than this and slightly more golden. I think the size is to do with the 50 hot days without rain in the summer. The colour probably suggests they are slightly unripe but all the fuzz had come off them. That usually indicates they are ready to pick if not to eat.

As is their nature, they are as hard as rocks. They will sit on the Welsh dresser until more yellow and they develop their distinctive aroma. I shall find something nice to do with them.



2 comments:

  1. That's the first time I've ever seen a quince! I thought they were cooking apples when I saw the pic! I've learned a thing today, so thanks!!!
    Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are strange as they are hard as nails and covered in fuzz. They are highly scented and have a taste all their own.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.