Wednesday 31 October 2018

Jams...

Having thawed what I thought was a bag of brambles, they turned out to to blueberries! Well they are supposed to be high in pectin I thought. Wrong, as it turned out (probably been in the freezer too long).

Luckily, I had a small bag of damsons with their stones in so cooked these, squeezed out the stones and added the rest to the blueberries. The zest of a whole lemon, its juice, plus more were added alongside the sugar:
I ended up with 3 jars of blueberry, damson and lemon jam. The other jar was made from a few plums.

One jar of the blueberry jam was taken by my nursing buddy S.H., who called yesterday for a quick visit. It is always good to catch up.

11 comments:

  1. I have found that these 'accidental' jams are invariably absolutely delicious! Blueberry, damson and lemon sounds the best!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've fell for pulling out the wrong fruits so many times, I've been very good at labelling this year so hopefully it won't happen again. Your labels look very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I try to line them up level if possible.

      Delete
  3. Nothing tastes as good as home made jam, I like the real pieces of fruit, you don't get that in the commercial jam now .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These will have lots of skins, another thing missing from commercial jams.

      Delete
  4. Sounds delicious. There is so much more flavour to home made jams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made jam is a world apart from shop bought isn't it? There's so much more intensity of flavour, which means I can use it more sparingly! Should hit target tomorrow 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true although we tend to use probably too much at a time. Good luck for tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Our last 3-4 meeeeaals from the freezer were lucky dip as the labels had fallen off. Well done, you made some lovely jam.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.