Sunday 7 October 2012

Harvesting...

Now that Autumn is here and the weather has taken a dramatic nose-dive as far as night time temperatures are concerned, I have been busy harvesting the remains of my fruit/vegetables.

Although my new little greenhouse is capable of maintaining a temperature 2-3 degrees warmer than that outside, it is not frost proof.

Within its confines I have grown some rather weedy looking Hungarian Hot Wax chile peppers as well as 3 extra Red Robin mini tomato plants. They were taken as inter-nodal cuttings a few months back. The peppers will gradually turn redder and get hotter as they ripen further.

Here they are freshly harvested and washed.

A couple of days ago, I also took the fruit from my indoor pepper plants (again a poor show) as well as those from some extra nodal cuttings of a Ferline tomato. Hopefully these will also go red and ripen.

 Finally, the last few tomatillo's have been gathered.





7 comments:

  1. You are certainly not alone in having poor crops this year. I have just been talking about this with a friend and both of us had the same. While my tomatoes have produced a reasonable crop they are still green and are splitting as they turn orange. Hopefully we will get a few ripened on the windowsill. Every little bit helps to eke out the budget. Lets hope for lovely weather and bumper crops next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my green tomatoes in a shoe box to ripen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie - I used to put mine in a brown bag but at the moment, they are ripening okay in amongst the red ones. Good tip though, especially if you have loads.

    Karen - I was most disappointed I think with the chillies and beetroot. Only got two of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just got back from the allotment. Our pear crop amounted to 1, and our apple crop ( from 2 trees) amounted to 5. There are barely any blackberries either, but I did pick half a colander of raspberries and a lot of runner beans. The weeds have done well though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did have 6 red pears but they kept falling off only half grown. 1 left now but not very good to look at. Other pear tree had 9, 4 of which look pitted and the rest okay but small. No apples. Only 2 beetroot. At least you can freeze your runner beans and enjoy them in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful rich greenery there! Have you tried slipping a banana in to your bag of ripening fruit? I know they produce gases which aid some fruit ripening - it guess it's worth a go for tomatoes? x














    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, your WW roll looks delicious by the way!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.