Monday 14 January 2013

Blood letting and a recipe (not for blood though!)

Welcome to my new followers Elaine Rickett, May and Hope. Glad to have you reading.

We awoke this morning to around 1 inch of snow. This was the picture through the front window at 08:00. Not much yet.

It stopped shortly after this was taken and is only just starting again now - 13:40. 

We donated blood today so was glad it wasn't very heavy first thing. All went well until I sat down to have my drink when my artery decided to give some more! They caught it in time before too much went on the floor. After another few minutes of compressing, it behaved itself and stopped bleeding. Helped myself to two orange Club biscuits afterwards!

I mentioned yesterday that I was cooking Lemon Chicken Curry for tea – herewith recipe and pictures. Set the oven to 180 Celsius.

Cube 3 chicken breasts or 6 chicken thighs and put them into a bag with 1 1/2 oz Plain flour, 2 teaspoons of curry powder, salt and pepper. Shake well to coat them.

Fry them off in batches, in 2oz butter or margarine and 1 – 2 tablespoons oil. Do this in a pan suitable to go into the oven. Set to one side.

Now fry 3 diced onions in the same fat (I also added 1 diced pepper as I wanted to stretch it to two meals). When the onions are softened, add the zest of one lemon and the rest of the flour. Cook for a minute or two then gradually stir in 3/4 pint chicken or vegetable stock.

The sauce should now thicken slightly. Remove the pith from the lemon and finely slice it removing any pips. Add the slices to the pan and stir in. 

Put the lid on and put it in the oven to cook for 1 hour. After this time add 4 oz frozen or sliced fresh mushrooms. Put the lid back on and cook for a further 30 minutes in the oven.

Serve with boiled rice or potatoes if you wish.We had a meal each then froze the remaining curry and rice for another day.


12 comments:

  1. I bet this was very tasty. I've never thought to try lemon and curry together before but will definitely have a go. It's been cold here today in south Essex but no snow as yet. A few flurries but the sky is getting darker and heavier so think its on its way!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just juice the lemon but it is better if you use the flesh.

      Delete
  2. We had snow yesterday afternoon, but it didn't stick as the ground was wet. Back to rain today. We had curry yesterday - of the chickpea variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. More snow has fallen here, another 2 inches at the moment but it has stopped again. Any chance of the mushroom wellington recipe please. x

      Delete
    2. Hi Dc - I used this recipe - http://www.co-operative.coop/magazine/foodanddrink/allrecipes/perfect-mushroom-and-nut-wellington/

      I didn't use nuts as KL decided she wanted it too and she isn't keen on nuts. I didn't use marsala or egg either, and I used ordinary mushrooms( I buy the large punnets for £1 something at Aldi) and dried herbs. As usual I just adapted it to suit our tastes, budget and what I had in the cupboards. I'll be making one tomorrow as KL has requested it for tea.

      Delete
  3. I am not a fan of curry, but I think I will give this a go next week, as I have neither lemons or chicken in the house. It looks really good.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it with the mildest curry powder you can find, it is very nice and gives just a hint of curry with a very lemony taste. It might actually be okay minus the curry powder and maybe a very little sugar to take the edge off the lemon.

      Delete
  4. That sounds delicious! We've had lots of sunshine here in North Texas, but very cold. When I'm feeling up to cooking again, I'll be trying this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you continue to get better and are able to give it a try. It tastes different every time you make it if you use a different powder each time.

      Delete
  5. Sounds yummy but I would never buy ready portioned chicken, I always buy whole birds and cut them myself then i have the bones for stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own I guess but I'm not very confidant wielding a very sharp knife to bone my own since my hands started to seize up slightly. These are frozen and you get a lot for your money. When I visit the butcher I can get any bones I want off him for stock.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.