Thursday 27 June 2013

How remiss of me...

Sorry for being so remiss with my posts. We have been busy doing more ancestral research and have made contact with a couple of people on Ancestry who are following some of the same lines as us and giving us new information.

Although I didn't get around to weeding my new bit of garden down by the garage wall, before taking this photo, here is the progress of its vegetables and flowers

The tomatoes are about 2 1/2 feet tall and one of the beans (on the bottom right) is around 3 feet tall. I have broken off and potted on some of the extra growth between the leaf axils of the tomatoes. I find these root really well (normally) and give me plants I can grow in the conservatory well into autumn, that hopefully, will remain blight free unlike their outdoor mates.

Taking a leaf from Tanya at Lovely Greens, I have started to make a batch of Elderflower and Vanilla Jelly see here (you will need to drop down to her article on 22nd June!). Here are my plucked 12 heads of Elderflowers steeping overnight in 1 litre of boiling water
Once that is under-way and the flowers are dry after this latest batch of rain, I shall pick some more to make Elderflower Cordial.

Out on our walk this week (I'll post about that soon), when we came back to the car, this lovely thing was close by
Not sure of the model but it is made by Ford and as you can see, a left hand drive so may well be American.



6 comments:

  1. Oooh have seen some elderflowers around, I need to be doing a bit of scavenging! If this rain ever stops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely got to be rain free, preferably for a day or two to allow the pollen to come back, seems to give a better flavour.

      Delete
  2. Your garage wall garden is definitely coming along well DC. I really need to get out into my garden but can't raise any enthusiasm when the weather is so awful. I love that vintage car. Have a good weekend.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a young couple who had been having a picnic from their lovely hamper strapped to the back of it.

      Delete
  3. Your plants seem to be doing really well in the new bed.The car is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a couple of beans and have yet to plant one more tomatillo there when it is large enough. Hopefully, the slugs won't find them!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.