Thursday 24 October 2013

Elaine's Rissoles

Welcome to my new follower via Bloglovin - Kim Chapman.

Following on from my chilli con carne, here is what happened with the remaining 150g of minced steak. Our butcher calls it minced steak rather than minced beef as their minced beef has a higher fat content!

I used the recipe as per Elaine's instruction here . I used 3 sad looking, pencil thickness leeks finely chopped and brown sauce as we had run out of Worcestershire sauce. Lots and lots of black pepper and a little salt went into them. As we had them with vegetables and chilli gravy, we couldn't really tell if they needed more seasoning. When I make them again, and I will, we shall put celery salt into them to give the mix a possible extra kick.

Elaine suggests rolling in beaten egg and polenta/breadcrumbs. I hate to use an egg up this way if it can be helped (a kickback from our war ration years). We decided to use 1lb of mash rather than 400g and shape the mix into patties, which were covered in seasoned flour and fried in a little oil. TOP TIP - once in the hot oil in the pan, do not move for several minutes to allow the base to colour and firm up.

We got 6 patties (one missing from the picture as I am having it for lunch whilst DB is out).
We served them (2 1/2 each) with mashed carrots and swede and the chilli con carne gravy from the previous day. They were about the size of fish cakes.
My sister used to make something similar using corned beef and Marguerite Patten in her war cookery books does something similar with sausage meat.

5 comments:

  1. I made something similar using vegetables and leftover mashed potato a few weeks ago. A good alternative to wasting an egg is to use linseeds heated with water - they make a nice eggy consistency if you want to breadcrumb things.We used to make corned beef crispbakes years ago ( we haven't eaten beef for about 16 years) - much cheaper than the version they ( used to) sell in that shop that makes inferior chicken and leek pies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum yum! Anything that resembles bubble and squeak gets my vote every time. Yes I remember you saying about linseeds heated in water. Before I strted grinding them to add to my porridge, we used to soak them overnight. Always jelly like in the morning. Corned beef crispbakes sound interesting. Are they like fishcake type things or something similar?

      Delete
    2. Yes, like fishcakes. I used to use mashed potato, softened onions and corned beef, then breadcrumb them ( nice without breadcrumbs too, but the crumb adds a bit of texture).

      Delete
  2. These look delicious, I haven't had rissoles for years. Did you ever watch the 1940s House, the first episode they made rissoles from a huge joint of roast beef!! Corned beef ones are yummy, I like to throw chunks of corned beef into a pan of bubble n squeak and let it go crusty mmmm its also a good pasty filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything that is similar to bubble and squeak is yummy!

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.