Thursday 31 October 2013

Just a little bit annoying...

Welcome to my new follower Ellie O.

Yesterday was our first really cold morning at 2C  but we still didn't have the heating on. We did however, burn a few logs in the wood-burner in the evening. It was colder inside the house than outside.

I could have sworn I had seen on several blogs, the recipes for Sage & Onion stuffing/sausage loaf but couldn't find them when I needed to, so made up my own.

All on-line versions had minced pork added to them which I didn't have/want. Anyhow, this is what I did:

Sage, onion and sausage loaf

1 packet of Sage and Onion stuffing made up with 50ml less water than the instructions. 1oz strong cheddar - grated, 4 thick sausages and 1 beaten egg (think it would have been okay though without the egg).

Everything was mixed together, then patted into shape. OIL OR GREASEPROOL PAPER THE PAN! My mistake first time around, was in not put it on baking parchment or it needed to be oiled all over before putting into the pan!
It was roasted in a 190C oven for one hour, along with some new (ish) potatoes. As you can imagine, I couldn't get it out of the pan in one piece but lesson learnt there though!

We served half of it with half of the roast potatoes, carrots and swede plus half the onion gravy. It was delicious.

Sorry about the photograph, for some reason, it downloaded into coloured bands:(
My second disappointment was knitting. I had started another hat for myself, having decided to make it on larger needles so it wouldn't flatten my hair so much.

The rib went very well. I had seen on Y--t---, how doing one row purl and the other knitting through the back of the loop, gave a twisted stocking stitch so thought I would give it a whirl. I also decided to knit it in two colours. I must have been mad, should have stuck with knitting in two different colours.

Somewhere along the line, I had dropped stitches without noticing. When I finally did, I pulled back to the mistake (first line above the rib), then no matter how hard I tried, just could not pick up the stitches and am afraid to say, had a paddy and threw it in the bin.

Naughty me, I could have unpicked the whole thing and begun again but didn't. So there you go, lessons to self:

1) line the tin when baking a stuffing and sausage roll.
2) try a new stitch or multiple colours but not BOTH!

You see, never too old to learn!!!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the welcome :) your dinner looks delish and is making me hungry lol! Shame about the knitting - it is hard to pick up twisted rib stitches. Quick tip for you, count your stitches for the first couple of rows after the rib because that is often where people go astray. Also there is a method for picking up stitches without having to rip back, but it takes quite a bit of practice to get it right - it might be on yoooootoooobe :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother in law, as her eyesight got worse, was a dab hand at picking up stitches but at the time, I had no interest in knitting:) When her eyesight got worse, her husband learnt to do it using a crochet hook!

      Delete
    2. I also use a crochet hook for picking up stitches.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dc, sausagemeat stuffing-loaf is a traditional Christmas favourite with us - my mum used to make it into a pie with shortcrust pastry and we'd have it cold for Xmas tea and on Boxing Day - seldom at any other time of year though for some reason. I make up a pkt of sage and onion stuffing, often adding my own chopped herbs, sausage meat, seasoning, sometimes chopped onion/gralic, and bind with an egg. It goes into a loaf tin and slices like meatloaf or I make a pie with it like mum. Very very tasty and goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both those sound good, shall have to try it that way next time.

      Delete
  3. Oh well, today is a new day and it should be better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sage and onion sausage loaf sounds very tasty. As for the hat well I'd have probably thrown it in the bin too, I have no patience!
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually very patient but not so on this occasion!

      Delete
  5. Your meaty loaf sound just the food for a cold day, we hardly ever buy sausages but today I bought some minced pork, on offer in Morrisons at £1.49..less than half price! Ive jotted your recipe down for later in the month.....thank you.

    I dropped a stitch in my knitting but was able to pick it up using a crochet hook. Sometimes the best intentions just fly straight out of the window, you should see my craftroom bin somedays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think using mince will work just as well. I only used 1/2lb of sausages. I understand the principle of using a crochet hook but all I could see was a few holes, no stitch in sight.

      Delete
  6. I knitted a pair of baby shoes the other morning with no problems, then started a bonnet - I've now pulled that out 3 times, and am giving it one last go before I give up. My hands just aren't as dextrous as they were and it involves some tricky picking up of stitches.
    Your tea looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was, as was the leftovers for tea last night. Tasted even better as leftovers often do. Annoying isn't it, when craft things go wrong.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.