Friday 3 January 2014

A present for the grand-dogs

First of all, welcome to my new followers, Tracy and Margaret courtesy of Bloglovin. Also a Happy New Year to you all!

I felt like making them something for the New Year (our 'Christmas" time with them this year), and settled on home made dog biscuits.

I have quite a few of these recipes and decided to try the version from Pam of River Cottage fame, whose recipe can be found here

I only used half the recipe and it made quite a few. If doing them again, I wouldn't fuss about using fancy cutters, just cut them into small squares.

The mixture needs to be brought together by hand as I found it quite dry.
Roll it out the the depth of a £1 or other large coin. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS BETWEEN TWO SHEETS OF PAPER!
Cut out the shapes and place on a double layer of paper, silicon sheet etc. Re-roll out to use up but it does get drier and dryer so I oiled my hands towards the end to make it stick together!
Then bake at 170C for 50 minutes (I put 2 trays in at once). Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
Pam does state that these also make nice cheese crackers for humans if you incorporate some salt (don't know how much). We rolled out the last bit of left over dough into one large biscuit, sprinkled it with sea salt and baked it. Verdict, not bad at all and yes, they would make nice savour crackers to have with cheese etc, so we might try that in future.

Once the biscuits had cooled they were put into a screw top jar and wrapped in paper. One programme I watched said they will last 2 months. I don't think though, that they will still be around in 2 months time:)



1 comment:

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.