Wednesday 30 April 2014

I really must... UPDATED

Engage brain, eyes and hands when picking things off shelves!

We went to town to buy some sewing thread and to get some Organic bug control spray. I stood and read the labels on the bottles, picked up the one I wanted, came home and went to use it:(

I had picked up the wrong one. Not content with that, I had picked up one of the worst non-organic sprays I could - see this link here to an article written by the British Bee Keeping Association or this one here written by The Soil Association. Both links list the main companies responsible for selling the stuff, plus a letter you can download and send off should you so desire.

The spray I inadvertently picked up is dangerous to bees, fish and other aquatic things, and is not recommended in the vicinity of household pets or children. Yes it might well kill everything (and more) than I wanted but if used, I have to wait days to eat what I have sprayed, if indeed I would want to eat them.

NO THANK YOU!!!

Well I am sorry, despite the cost of petrol, it will be returned when we next go shopping. We have visiting grand-dogs, two lots of bees nesting in logs, lots of aquatic life, Gold Finches and Coal Tits nesting, plus a myriad of wanted wildlife. We are totally organic and whilst I might go around squashing and standing on nasties, if I have to resort to sprays, I use organic even though they are not as good as non-organic.

Here are some links to making your own organic sprays if you so desire:
Green LivingOrganic GardeningHope Gardens, and finally Tipnut

Hopefully, you should be able to find something there to use.

5 comments:

  1. As a newbie to gardening (allotment this year) I didn't know you could get organic sprays, we have been squirting everything with rhubarb leaves as the old timers told us to do. I've just had my parsnips eaten by some French Quails and the rhubarb juice is not working on those! lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, I just squish things but most organic sprays are based on some sort of fatty soap plus something else. You can make a lot of things yourself.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dc, yes, the old aqua and saponis is probably the best and cheapest and safest way to go. How bad is it that they are still allowed to manufacture, ket alone sell, these toxic preparations. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really bad isn't it. Liquid soap and water is probably far cheaper and works really well.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.