Friday 6 June 2014

Blooming weather and an investment

I very nearly couldn't be bothered to protect my tomatoes last night, boy, am I glad I did. The ones down the garage wall were covered in fleece. The ones in tubs, were put into the garage. The overnight forecast was was 8C, it got down to 7.1C!

We seem to be okay for the next few nights, then the forecast for next week says 2 nights may be down to 6C. Say what!!! I know things can change by then, but last night was forecast 7 days ago and it didn't change.

I'll be watching Andy Murray play against Nadal this afternoon. That might be a bit of a struggle for him as Nadal is on fire at the moment. Mind you, he did drop a set in the quarter finals. Come on Andy!!!

If I am not sure whether I need or want something, I will take an absolute age to make up my mind. I have been saving my pennies for two things, working on the premise that if I decide against them, the money can be left for something else further along the line.

I have been hankering after a dehydrator for several years and finally given in and bought one. There are so many to chose from (which took another age to decide just that), price for a change didn't come into too much because of my savings. I am though, very worried that it might just prove to be an expensive toy and eventually get put to one side. That is up to me to make sure that doesn't happen.

I'm not revealing it at the moment until I've had a chance to play and learn.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good investment - look forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dehydrators are wonderful! When I had one I would dehydrate veggies and fruit if I had too many of them. For example, last year we have a plethora of tomatoes, I dehydrated them in the oven making a sun-dried like tomato with fantastic flavour. Apple rings are brilliant dehydrated too. As well as onion slices, chillies, etc. My mother use to make fruit leather from left over or over ripe fruit and beef jerky. Wonderful snacks for us children. You'll have lots of fun playing with it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I semi dried tomatoes last year and then froze them. Apparently you can dehydrate berries to a similar stage if you don't want them hard.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read about it, I'm looking into them but unsure which one to go for. I will wait to see how you get on first x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stepped out of the front door to walk to my Mum's yesterday and had to go back into the house for a scarf - ridiculous in June!
    Happy experimenting with your new gadget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was warm and humid after the cold start, the sort of weather to start off blight. I hope my Aspirin works!

      Delete
  5. I watched the tennis today, I don't think Andy was at his best!! I also bought a dehydrator this year. I haven't done anything with it yet. I'll be looking forward to hear what you think of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too but there was certainly no stopping Rafa, even if Andy had been at his best.

      Delete
  6. I love my dehydrator - you must try dehydrating strawberries and making your own sun dried tomatoes. It is a great way of dealing with surplus produce xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to hear, I won't have too many of my own but do want to try strawberries so will buy some. Hoping to do tomatoes as well if the weather co-operates!

      Delete
  7. Look forward to hearing more about your purchase DC.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.