Monday 16 June 2014

More drying....

I know I know, I'm sure you'll be fed up soon, just a little more then I'll shut up!

At the weekend, we got hold of a half price pineapple (£1) and dehydrated it along with another apple and cereal bowl of our strawberries to fill up the machine. It took between 7 - 8 hours to finish. I'm still never sure when they say crinkly and slightly sticky, if it is really done so tend to go for a little longer.

The pineapple is wonderful, has a real punch to it. Here is the whole thing dried, on the right:
The apple (on its own without cinnamon as recommended by many) is also good, strawberries so so. You can see them both nestled together in the jar on the left:

As I wasn't sure about storing the watermelon due to the above quandary, in the end I put it in the freezer which apparently some do. I thought slightly reconstituted in muffins might be quite nice.

DB made a small batch of pistachio ice cream as well so now I have 4 egg whites to use up. I'll probably make a cloud cake and some meringue's. I'll decide on the day.

I also made 2 loaves of bread and some granola, so all in all, a busy day.

2 comments:

  1. Would you say it's worth the money? will it be used a lot or do you think the novelty is wearing off? Have you finished drying everything in sight lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say in all honesty, I don't know yet if it is worth the money. I bought it mainly to dehydrate tomatoes and some other fruit. If it keeps going for a good few years, then yes, it is worth it. Others can be had for 1/3 - 1/2 the price of the one I bought. My gooseberries are ripening so they will be next to be trialled.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.