Tuesday 20 September 2016

Chilli Jam

Goodness me, the 20th of September already, this month is flying by!

I have had my first foray into making chilli jam, using this recipe. . I used half the chilli's deseeded and the other half with seeds in. A bit much for us methinks but I can always adjust it another year if we enjoy it!

Here are the chavelled up chilli's, sugar, vinegar and crab apples in the pan:
And the finished product:
Not as clear as I thought it would be but when I removed the crab apples, soom had lost their apple insides and were just shells. Despite setting on the plate indicating the jam was ready, the next morning, it was clear it hadn't set properly.

All the jars were emptied back into the pan (the jars and lids were washed and sterilized again) and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice stirred in. The jam was again boiled for between 5 and 10 minutes, with a plate test after 5 minutes. It was set on the plate but to be sure, I gave it another 5 minutes then potted them.

We got just the 4 big jars plus a little half jar this time, so hopefully, it is ready. A taste trial showed it to be quite potent.

9 comments:

  1. My husband would love that, unfortunately chili's and I do not get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can exchange the same weight of chilli for normal red pepper.

      Delete
  2. I need to make something with all my chillies. Nothing worse than jam not setting and the mess of having to do it all again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have also been eating them stuffed with cream cheese, very nice.

      Delete
  3. very annoying when you have to empty and re cook etc - been there! Might be an idea for the hampers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That sounds amazing. I am a huge preserve fan..... get through jars and jars of the stuff. This would be perfect in my larder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It set completely on the plate but still moves slightly in the jar. I might also try it with normal red peppers as well.

      Delete
  5. Lovely way to use up those chili peppers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.