Monday 16 October 2017

Faggots for winter...

In this country, a faggot is a meat based ball. Using the recipe from the link on my recipe tab Faggots (2) adapted, I decided now was the time to get started on a batch of them for the freezer as well as one meal.

This time I used 1lb minced pork shoulder steaks, you could use bought pork mince or mince your own belly pork. 1lb of bacon from those big value bacon packs, 1/2 lb pork liver minced - I prefer chicken livers as they are milder but couldn't find any, 1/2 an apple minced (tip from local butcher) a whole one could be used and one whole dry packet of sage and onion stuffing (170g). No salt but 30 grinds of ground black pepper. No water or egg or other moisture were needed. Once combined well, I left the mixture for about 30 minutes then fried a teaspoonful to test the taste. 

I used a 2" wide ice cream scoop for these. DB squirted oil spray onto my hands every now and then and gave me one scoop at a time for me to form into balls. Note to self, base line the tins!



First batch out, dry into their containers, ready for the gravy:
3 ladles of gravy per container usually gives enough for potatoes and vegetables to be kept moist. I normally put some gravy into the roasting pan once the faggots have been lifted but the pan had burnt slightly and I didn't want the taste to transfer to the meat:
We don't eat too much meat so shall have one tray between us - 1 1/2 faggots each. The last four went into a dish with some gravy to be microwaved for said meal.

9 comments:

  1. They look delicious, I do something similar with dark turkey mince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are not too keen on turkey so don't fancy having a go using that. Less fattening though.

      Delete
  2. Ooh they look nice!
    Hubby loves the "Mr Brains" frozen ones - I may have a go at these though.
    The one meal I used to enjoy in school dinner days (60/70's) was meatballs with mash and baked beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. DB also likes the Brains version but prefers these. The gravy on he recipe is also lovely.

      Delete
  3. They do indeed look delicious, a great Winter warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The weather today though is very warm so no more winter meals for a few days.

      Delete
  4. Great start on having winter meals ready to be served on those busy days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faggots are not something I've ever eaten, but they look great for the colder weather. I'm going to remember your icecream scoop ideal for measuring things out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 3 different sizes for various jobs, including for cookies, cupcakes and chocolate truffles etc.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.