Friday 27 October 2017

Saving food money

This month, I have £31 leftover food money. That means that each weeks total shop for food and toiletries, averaged £32 each week. Combined with September’s leftovers, we currently have £66 savings for a food stock, Christmas or what is needed.

Some will be used for the foodbank, maybe the end of next month, when I can check their needs online and get them what they actually need rather than what we think they need.

Sticking rigidly to a menu, shopping from the freezer and cupboards have all helped alongside savvy shopping. We have visitors coming for a few days and our total bill came to just over £33. That included toiletries and basic medicine. Meals are planned for including breakfast, lunch, tea and a snack or two. One is GF and currently sugar free so a pudding experiment is on the cards! I do love a challenge:)

Have a great weekend everyone.

7 comments:

  1. In these days of rising prices, that is a triumph - well done.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done really well.
    Food shopping is my downfall. There's just the 2 of us at home now but I really struggle to keep the weekly shop below £100. I cook from scratch as I'm at home but obviously it's usually a case of wants not needs. Must do better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t quite get that to compute in my head. There are 2 of us and we allocate £40 per week for food, toiletries etc. Most weeks we spend less, occasionally slightly more but overall, it stays the same. We eat small quantities of meat as it is expensive but get protein from other sources. We simply cannot afford to spend any more. Maybe you can afford to do so.

      Delete
  3. Well done you!
    I went a bit over last month and spent £110, but the cupboards and freezers are almost full. J was paid yesterday, so that's the start of our new shopping month. I only have a dozen things on the list, mainly baking items and plant milks.
    I can't imagine spending £100 per WEEK for 2 people either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No we're just a normal family - not rich by any means!! I used to shop for a family of 5 and I suppose it's a hard habit to break. In that amount is everything from food to toiletries. I'm not fussy with food really but there are a few things that I'll only buy from certain shops - but nothing extravagant , just normal stuff. We don't smoke or drink. Hubby is still of working age and I do a bit of self-employed work as and when - but I'll have to cut the cloth accordingly when we both stop working altogether for sure. My mum & dad are in their 70's and they can't understand the ridiculous amount either - they live well for much less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We spend ave £60 per week - two and half of us ( one part tome at home) plus two dogs..........I make melas from scratch - drink wine & eat a mixed protein from pulses & meat / processed meat. one is GF
    I think this is an average spend?
    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That isn’t too bad including wine and 2 dogs. We used to use just £30 a week, then rising food prices meant £35 a week, now it is £40 a week but if I keep having a little leftover and prices don’t increase too much more, it might get dropped back down.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.