Monday 4 March 2019

Another loaf!

We had a bit of a failure with the recipe for a wheatgerm loaf. I can't fathom out how added an extra 2oz of wheatgerm, but with the same amount of water, would work. It was sunk when it came out, very hard around the edges but edible inside.

This time, we tried the rapid wholemeal loaf. I still had the same misgivings as brown flour uses more water than white. The recipe called for 500g wholemeal but I used 400g plus 100g strong white.

It looked and smelt lovely and tasted as nice as it looked. It was almost the same size as a rapid white loaf:

This is the large size with a medium crust. Its always paler on the top as the heating element is around the side.

9 comments:

  1. I love the look of home made bread. Yours is making my mouth water! Lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely loaf you made. Reminds me that sometime very soon I need to make one.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard elsewhere that mixing in some strong white helps with rise. it looks nice anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does I believe but I added it for taste as well.

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely! I cut my teeth as a baby by nibbling on the crusts of uncut bread whilst being pushed to/from the shops in my massive Marmet pram in 1964/65!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nephew did the same but commercial ones, bickiepegs I think they were called.

      Delete
  5. That looks sooooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.