Friday 3 May 2019

Another insomnia help for me is.....

Magnesium Citrate. I suffered from constipation and muscle cramps, the latter waking me up almost every night. I had read that if your magnesium is low, your sleep patterns can also be a bit off. Also, part of my heart problem gives me a permanent irregular heartbeat and tachycardia, both of which can keep me awake as well.

I take a tablet to help control the tachycardia but not the irregular heartbeat. I had been taking magnesium oxide, commonly available over the counter. Then, I read it is one of the hardest magnesiums for your body to access.

I came across an article that discusses all the different magnesiums and what each one does. Citrate was for constipation and cramps and general tiredness. Magnesium Orotate is for your heart but for the moment I don't take that and I'll explain why.

Now, these tablets are huge, too big for me to swallow. So I either crush them and put them in a bit of yoghurt or break them in half and chew, chewing them is fine. The recommended dose is 2 per day but I find that makes me go to the loo a little to often (not for a wee). So one night I take half of one, the next a whole one. I have cleared this with my doctor and he said it was fine.

The difference was pretty quick. My cramp almost disappeared and is now quite infrequent. I go to the toilet more easily now. My sleep has improved and I generally feel more rested. An unexpected side effect for me is my irregular heartbeats which have calmed down remarkably, even though this type of magnesium is not particularly for the heart.

Not all magnesium citrate tablets are born equal though. I buy a more expensive version made by Solgar. Any other make doesn't seem to be as useful. Guess you pay your money and take your chance.

Anyhow, this has helped me. Whether you chose to look things up is up to you.  Thanks for all your comments yesterday, much appreciated. For those of you whose nights are disturbed by others, try separate rooms, it really does help as well.


12 comments:

  1. It was a lucky moment when you came across that article. What a shame your GP was not able to suggest it earlier as a solution for your problems. I hope you continue to reap the benefits and enjoy better health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I but to be fair to GP’s in general, mineral and vitamin levels aren’t always top of their reviewing.

      Delete
  2. I have started to take D3 and Calcium for my mushy bones. I will check with my doctor on the magnesium as that could help me a great deal.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An interesting link here about different magnesium’s
      https://hormonesbalance.com/articles/which-magnesium-is-right-for-you/

      Delete
  3. That's very useful and interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds interesting. I am going to google it now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different magnesium tablets for different reasons, quite interesting but
      I like to keep below their recommended levels.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I'm very glad it's helping such a lot.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. For severe leg cramps I have found that Apple Cider Vinegar , preferably organic, and it must have the "mother", works best for me. I take 2 T in 8 ou. of water before bed. I rarely have a cramp now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.