Thursday 2 May 2019

Dealing with MY insomnia

I think over the years, my body has learnt to adapt to lack of sleep but it does catch up with me occasionally. Obviously, long term it may well be doing me damage but who knows.

Recently though, I think I am slowly getting on top of it. This is how I deal with MY insomnia and I can't stress enough, MY insomnia!

I bought a packet of two a night Nytol, the blue packet not the herbal green version. Years ago when I needed to take them due to stress from bereavement, I used the full dose. Not so now. I break them in half and for three weeks I took just one half of one tablet (a 1/4 of the dose) If it was really bad, I upped it to a whole tablet but that left me groggy in the morning.

Whilst for some, these tablets can work quickly, everyone I have spoken to, says for long term treatment, I needed to take them for longer. The full dose is for two tablets a night for a maximum of 3 weeks. Therefore, in my thinking, if I am only taking a 1\4 of the dose, I could in theory take them for 12 weeks.

However I digress.

After 3 weeks of a 1/4 of the dose (1/2 a tablet), I tried going without. I could manage just 2 nights of normal sleep before insomnia kicked in. Back on the 1/4 dose (1/2 a tablet) for another week. Next time I went without I managed 3 - 4 nights of normal sleep until insomnia once again kicked in. Back on the tablets for another week etc.

I kept doing this for a few months. Every now and then when insomnia kicks in, I have a double shot of Bailey's instead of the Nytol. I am quite sensitive to alcohol so it doesn't keep me awake as everyone says it does.

Now, months and months down the line, and several boxes of Nytol later, my insomnia is getting better. I can manage around 5 nights a week of normal sleep, sometimes spaced out, of good quality sleep. If I have a bad night, I use the drink as taking Nytol, for me, after midnight, leaves me dopey the next day.

Each to their own but it seems to be working for now and I am very grateful. Some people only take the tablet for a few nights and give up but that doesn’t really help. Adjustment of dose is personal. I found I really needed to take them for quite a while to retrain my body back into sleep.

Last night I had Bailey’s and eventually got 5 hours sleep apart from a brief interlude being woken by the blasted wood pigeons.

16 comments:

  1. I think us womwn of a certain age are doomed to periods of insomnia - I have resorted to have a Sominex tablet every night and that works for me. Not supposed to take it regularly so will have to stop sooner or later for a spell. Don't mention wood pigeons!! We have sooo many and they are a pain in the bum - noisy and messy. At this time of year it is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't slept well since my son was born, until then, I slept great.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post, I too sleep badly, I have tried sleeping tablets and they make me feel awful the next day. Part of my problem is that my 36 year old son has epilepsy and lives near us, he wears an alarm that is linked to my phone and sends a text followed by a call to tell me he is fitting, we then leave the house at what I'm sure is a ridiculous speed in nightie and slippers in my case,as we have emergency medication which we administer, so I have to try and relax more as I feel my brain is always on alert mode. I think I will give your routine a try you never know it's worth a try, I do so hate getting up most mornings feeling like I have a hangover , but I don't drink and I am so cranky and I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crankiness is so annoying in itself isn't it.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad it's working for you. I've tried the blue Nytol, I buy the 2 a night but only take 1 but even that makes me so very dopey the next day I don't really like taking it. Never thought of cutting the tablet in half, perhaps I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try half and see how you go. Its not for everyone.

      Delete
  4. I too have periods of sleeping badly but have always resisted taking pills. I just feel rather nervous about it. At least my hearing loss means that noises don't wake me - just the other half twitching in his sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a twitching other half, most annoying at times.

      Delete
  5. I've struggled with sleep issues too. My OH has sleep apnoea which doesn't help. I'm trying to be more disciplined about screen time(TV, tablet and phone) and light in the bedroom. The Fitbit which my daughters gave me for my birthday helps me monitor my sleep patterns which I find useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I rarely use anything electronic in the bedroom unless I can't sleep!

      Delete
  6. I'm in a sleepless phase at the moment, because my B12 injection is due at the end of the month. I've started stumbling again, and my memory is going aswell, all sure signs that I'm in need of the jab! The lack of sleep makes me very snappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish there was something you could take to help things until your injections.

      Delete
  7. I go through phases of sleeplessness. I may just try a glass of wine the next time it happens.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alcohol can make you more awake after a short time but for me, occasional usage seems to work.

      Delete
  8. This is such a useful post. I will ask Tony to get me some nytol tablets. I do have the liquid but although it makes me drowsy I don't sleep more than an hour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I think it is a combination of things I take that on the whole, seem to help. Hence my post on Friday.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.