Saturday 15 June 2019

Its a good job....

I didn't read the reviews on this product before I bought it, as they were all, with the exception of one, very negative. What product:
A tin of curry. I must admit, I trialled it anyway with a little bit of trepidation as most other canned meats products (apart from Ham, Spam and Corned Beef) haven't rung my bell. It costs £1.60 and I wanted to trial it as part of a stocking my pantry up just in case product!

I made some couscous to eat it with (just a few minutes to do) whilst the curry was warming up. It had 8 big pieces of chicken in it and I cut them up a bit whilst it was heating. We had it for lunch today.

Verdict - not bad at all. Most reviews said it was bland, hardly any meat in it etc. Yes, the taste is different to those ready meals you buy for a similar price. Also, if dire circumstances hit us all one day, such as a prolonged power cut, your freezer version would go off, this wouldn't.

However, as a 'just in case' scenario, it wouldn't be too bad at all. I think if you wanted a quick meal and had some frozen jacket potatoes, you would get a decent hot meal in quite a quick time.

If you wanted to make it a little hotter, as well as add a little extra flavour, I reckon just a teaspoon of tikka masala paste would improve it.

I shall now trial a few of their other curry tins and see how they fare.

Has anyone eaten other makes of tinned curry, if so, what was your verdict?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. We don't have a Morrisons particularly close (but I often visit the Dereham one when in Norfolk) I'll try and pick one up sometime. I suspect some reviews are by very picky people. For that price it isn't going to be cordon bleu - but as a standby with a few tweaks, it sounds excellent. I just got Jack Monroes new book Tin Can Cook, and plan to review it on my blog soon. Not wishing to be pessimistic, but yes, power cuts may happen and freezer foods won't help then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do several different ones including chilli. Other supermarket brands would be a welcome review.

      Delete
  2. I've tried a tinned chickpea dhal and a vegetable curry from Sainsbury's and didn't object to either of them. As you say in an emergency they'd be most welcome, I think I had them when I was ill last year and was unable to cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being ill is another such moment when things like this are useful.

      Delete
  3. M&S tinned curries are not too bad. I buy them to take with us in the caravan for a quick no fuss meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tesco chilli is alright in a jacket potato. I keep a tin in for when we have a power cut which can be quite regular in the Winter months.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.