Thursday 6 June 2019

Pressure cooking meat

Doing the beef in the cooker wasn't so successful even though it was still pink when it came out, it cooked more as it rested, losing its pinkness.

The result was a bit dry, not surprising as we don't seem to produce beef in this country anymore, that has nice ripples of fat throughout it.

However, we got a reasonably tasting dinner from it. Some was sliced (to have with chips) then the rest minced, with some of the gravy and a carrot and bit of squash to make two cottage 'pies':
They were topped with instant potato from my store cupboard (which incidentally we like if made with watered down milk, butter and lots of seasoning). They were topped with grated cheese. One cooked for tea the other has gone into the freezer.


8 comments:

  1. Did you mince the meat with a Spong? Mine was out this week, as we had a leg of lamb with the family on Sunday and I wanted to make good use of the leftovers. I've not tried cooking a large piece of meat in my PC. I love the enamel pie dishes - proper tradional home cooking is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I have a very old food processor which minces or grinds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never cooked a joint of beef in the pressure cooker. I tend to use it for tougher cuts, like stewing steak. I love cottage pie, I would eat it every day if I could! I use instant potato flakes as a thickener for gravy, soup and stews instead of flour. It is quick and convenient, which suits me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gammon in it was great, as was pork but not the beef. We use cornflour for thickening, or oat flour or occasionally like you, potato flakes.

      Delete
  4. The last roast I cooked in the pressure cooker turned out very nicely. Mind you it was a pretty small roast.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was 3lbs but just not enough fat throughout it I think.

      Delete
  5. Love those enamel dishes. One of my favourite dinners is cottage pie, what time is dinner? Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great dishes aren’t they. I like doing deep pies in them, crumbles and fruit sponges.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, will read all your comments and try and answer any questions you leave. Please leave comments in English. Don't forget to come back and read my reply! All comments are moderated so if you try to link it to a commercial web site, it will not be published.